JMS on CompuServe (Jul 24, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* (1/2)

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Thu Jul 24 16:31:41 EDT 1997

   ftp://ftp.johndelenn.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/

    Sb: #686862-jms in san diego
    Sb: #686876-Claudia C fired!
    Sb: #686822-#Clauduia
    Sb: #686862-jms in san diego
    Sb: #686841-Claudia Opts Out-JMS
    Sb: #686860-Claudia Opts Out-JMS
    Sb: #687099-Claudia Opts Out-JMS
    Sb: #687322-Claudia Opts Out-JMS
    Sb: #687100-Claudia Opts Out-JMS
    Sb: #686853-Claudia Opts Out-JMS

 #: 686862 S5/Babylon 5: General
    22-Jul-97  23:40:59
Sb: #685074-#jms in san diego
Fm: STEVEN K. ANDEWEG

I'm looking forward to getting an Agamemnon cap.  When will they be available
through the club via  mail order?

Steve A.

 #: 687331 S5/Babylon 5: General
    23-Jul-97  23:47:27
Sb: #686862-jms in san diego
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yes, the caps can be purchased through the fan club, and thestation.com.

    23-Jul-97  00:19:22
Sb: #686447-#Claudia C fired!
Fm: CARL CANTARELLA

>> The information on residuals is not correct.  NO ONE was aske to give up
residuals on season 5 forever.  That simply never took place.<<

        Gee, I sure wish I had signed onto CSI before going over to AOL first(I
engaged in some rather dumb speculation over there as it turns out) --and
little did I know once I read this post over there that it was addressed to me
over here! <g>
                   Joe, thanks for going through the trouble and taking the
time to explain some of this stuff to us. You're certainly a rare breed when it
comes to the business of television, and it is much appreciated.   ;)

 #: 687333 S5/Babylon 5: General
    23-Jul-97  23:47:31
Sb: #686876-Claudia C fired!
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      One of the problems not just in this, but in general, is that there is so
much mythology about how TV is done, and so much bad information.  Any time
that can be cleared up, the better.

    22-Jul-97  21:11:08
Sb: #686808-#Clauduia
Fm: ROSEANN M. CAPUTO

" What's been difficult have been the emails that have come in suggesting that
I "watch my back" at the next few conventions I attend.  Disagreement or
discussion is one thing; threats are another."

Why, good sir, being Italian in decent and let's just say I have some
"interesting" relatives, I would be honored to be at your back any time!  I
really get annoyed by folks like that.  Buy a bloody vowel, get a *(&*^^** clue
and solved the damn puzzle!  It's none of their business!!!!!!  No wonder why
folks in your career get skittish about fans.  I mean for the most part, we're
probably here to help you appreciate normal people, but on the whole, I'd like
to think that we're good folks.  Just some fans are taking this waaaaay too
seriously.  I'm just as disappointed as everyone else, but it happens, yes?

Why can't everyone just appreaciate you for the sick, twisted, lovable,
demented, tortured, bizarre, clever, witty, devious, genius that you are?

Roseann Caputo

PS: Being as I'm only 5'2", it will be difficult for me to watch you're back
and see what's coming also, perhaps my 6'5" boyfriend will help? <g>

 #: 687334 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    23-Jul-97  23:47:32
Sb: #686822-#Clauduia
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"Why can't everyone just appreaciate you for the sick, twisted, lovable,
demented, tortured, bizarre, clever, witty, devious, genius that you are?"

      Kill me...just kill me now and get it over with....

    22-Jul-97  23:40:59
Sb: #685074-#jms in san diego
Fm: STEVEN K. ANDEWEG

I'm looking forward to getting an Agamemnon cap.  When will they be available
through the club via  mail order?

Steve A.

 #: 687394 S5/Babylon 5: General
    24-Jul-97  03:52:00
Sb: #686862-jms in san diego
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      They're probably available right now.

    22-Jul-97  22:13:17
Sb: #686471-#Claudia Opts Out-JMS
Fm: BANCROFT GRACEY

>> I didn't realize that. But do you think the Paramount  people would let her
do B5 at the same time?  Or WB allowing allowing her to do ST?    I really
think she would have to choose one or the other. <<

Of course they would. They wouldn't like it, but they had to let a certain Mrs
Roddenberry set a precedent...

-bpg-
Uncle-at-Large
"....'Great Maker', huh?"

 #: 687395 S5/Babylon 5: General
    24-Jul-97  03:52:02
Sb: #686841-Claudia Opts Out-JMS
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"They wouldn't like it, but they had to let a certain Mrs Roddenberry set a
precedent..."

      1) Majel isn't a series regular, with the contract requirements thereof.

      2) Nobody messes with the Roddenberrys.

    22-Jul-97  23:31:48
Sb: #686456-#Claudia Opts Out-JMS
Fm: RON CHUSID

Message text written by Frank J. Furfaro
>She knew that if she didn't sign, the option to leave the series was available
and if the Borg role was given to her  -  goodbye B5.<

Unless you have inside information, this is speculative. I don't blame her for
looking around considering she didn't know if she had a job for the next year.
We don't know that she would have taken the Borg role if she got a fifth season
on B5 (on her terms).

 #: 687396 S5/Babylon 5: General
    24-Jul-97  03:52:05
Sb: #686860-Claudia Opts Out-JMS
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      There is nothing amiss with an actor seeing work as a contingency if the
current show is not renewed.

    23-Jul-97  14:46:59
Sb: #687079-#Claudia Opts Out-JMS
Fm: HERO GAMES (SUE)

Scott,

If that's the case, then why wouldn't/couldn't he put it into writing?

SSo far as I can tell, that's because although he can do everything in his
power to keep Ivanova out of four episodes, there are higher powers within
WB/TNT who could say otherwise.  They're the ones who hold CCs contract, not
JMS.

Sue

 #: 687397 S5/Babylon 5: General
    24-Jul-97  03:52:08
Sb: #687099-Claudia Opts Out-JMS
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"If that's the case, then why wouldn't/couldn't he put it into writing? So far
as I can tell, that's because although he can do everything in his power to
keep Ivanova out of four episodes, there are higher powers within WB/TNT who
could say otherwise.  They're the ones who hold CCs contract, not JMS."

      Every studio holds the contract on its actors; that's the same for every
show.

      Nothing could be put into writing in the form of a renegotiation because
all of the actors are on a favored nation basis...if one renegotiates in
his/her favor, they all get to renegotiate.  Any of our cast can take fewer
episodes if they agree to be paid for fewer episodes since that favors WB.  Or
they can come to me and we'll do it unofficially, as has been done with every
single cast member for 4+ years now.  Peter wanted to do "The Late Shift," I
wrote him out for a couple of episodes to accommodate that; Andreas wants to do
a movie, he asks, and I write him out.  This has never, ever been a problem.

    23-Jul-97  23:19:12
Sb: #687303-#Claudia Opts Out-JMS
Fm: HERO GAMES (SUE)

Tom,

In other words, because he did not have the authority to because WB felt they
should have those 'first rights.'

Again, I'm not saying that JMS did anything wrong, but if the studio can
supercede Joe (i.e. Joe can verbally say 'I'll do it', but the studio still has
the right to say 'no'), then I can't blame CC for wanting something in writing
<shrug>

Sue

 #: 687398 S5/Babylon 5: General
    24-Jul-97  03:52:11
Sb: #687322-Claudia Opts Out-JMS
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"Again, I'm not saying that JMS did anything wrong, but if the studio can
supercede Joe (i.e. Joe can verbally say 'I'll do it', but the studio still has
the right to say 'no'), then I can't blame CC for wanting something in writing
<shrug>"

      Any studio can supercede the authority of an executive producer.

      The question, though, is one of logic.

      If Character X is not in an episode, is not written in an episode, there
is no grounds on earth for a studio to force the actor to hang around the
studio for that episode.  Never been done to my knowledge on ANY show,
anywhere, at any time.  Nor would there be any reason to do so here.

      And WB doesn't write the scripts.  I do.  And they don't bother us on
that one.  We haven't had a creative note since year 2, episode 2, and that was
mainly on a scene they wanted clarified.

      In the past, with every actor on the show, I have said, "Come to me, and
we'll work out unofficially time for you to get away."  There are some
occasions when I say, "Look, I *need* your character for this episode, I can't
do "Severed Dreams" without Sheridan," but that doesn't happen too often.  We
have never had a problem with WB over this.  And never once have I given my
word to an actor about being available, and not had it work out.

    23-Jul-97  14:51:56
Sb: #687082-#Claudia Opts Out-JMS
Fm: HERO GAMES (SUE)

Scott,

I hadn't caught up on all my message reading and had missed this one (hence the
reasons I said "I may have missed something <g>".  However, this seems to be
one point where JMS and CC contradict each other. In her message, CC has quoted
Copeland as saying that if TNT/WB want her to do the 22 episodes, there's
nothing that can be done about it.

If it turns out that she *did* insist on full pay for 22 episodes but would
only do 18, then yes, I would agree that she was making what sounds to me to be
unreasonable demands.

However, there still seems to be a question as to whether or not she was
informed of the correct deadlines or if WB/TNT withdrew whatever offer was on
the table before that deadline arose.

Again, I don't think anyone is lying (it bothers me that some folks seem to
automatically bassume that it's CC, which is what's driving me nuts <g>), but
rather I think that there are two perspectives on a situation, each with
different information from different sources and different times.

Sue

 #: 687399 S5/Babylon 5: General
    24-Jul-97  03:52:14
Sb: #687100-Claudia Opts Out-JMS
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"In her message, CC has quoted Copeland as saying that if TNT/WB want her to do
the 22 episodes, there's nothing that can be done about it."

      What John said was that if she wanted to be paid the full amount (the 22
episode fee) she had to be in all 22.

"However, there still seems to be a question as to whether or not she was
informed of the correct deadlines or if WB/TNT withdrew whatever offer was on
the table before that deadline arose."

      She was.  They didn't.

      On the Thursday before the final Friday deadline, I sat in the bar of the
DeVere Hotel in Blackpool with Claudia and said, "Claudia, the press has
announced your departure from the show.  WB takes it seriously, and I have to
start writing *yesterday*.  We have to know if you're in or out, and we have to
know by mid-day (noon) tomorrow.  If we don't get an indication from your agent
that you're in, the offer will be withdrawn."

      The offer was withdrawn at mid-day Friday, as indicated.  Because to wait
any longer would damage the show, and our chances of getting going without
missing airdates.

    22-Jul-97  22:39:47
Sb: #Claudia Opts Out-JMS
Fm: HERO GAMES (SUE)

Jonathan,

<<Curious if you think we "know" much more than that.>>

That depends upon whether or not you take CC at her word (which at this point I
see no reason not to).  If I put together what JMS and CC have both had to say
(and please correct me if I've missed something), it looks like this:

1.  CC did not sign the extension but left things open verbally, ostensibly
(according to CCs statement) because she wanted assurance of getting four
episodes off in S5.

2.  Before S5 was set, CC seems to have been offered a movie deal, the details
of which are unknown.  However, since her concern for getting four episodes of
in S5 is what she claims caused her to not sign the extension, it seems to
confirm that this deal was made quite some time before S5 was confirmed.

3.  CC requested less episodes to make time for the movie and wanted this in
writing.  We do not know whether or not she was willing to or was offered less
money.  The impression I've gotten from what I've read (my opinion) is that
WB/TNT would not change the deal under any circumstances since, as JMS said,
'none of the other actors had their deals changed.'

4.  JMS tells CC that he will write her out of 4 episodes but will not put this
in writing.  CC trusts that JMS will do what he can, but feels that things
might be out of his hands and puts the question to Copeland who tells her (via
her agent) that what JMS offered is "Not possible."

5.  A deadline is set for CC to get in touch with WB to confirm S5.  According
to CC, she was told this by Conaway and not informed via normal channels (i.e.
via agent, manager, WB).  She tries to contact her agent regarding this but
they miss each other over the weekend.

6.  Here's the point on which things seem to hinge and where the "she quit/she
was fired" question comes in.  JMS says she had a Friday deadline.  CC says she
was told Monday by Conaway and that neither her agent or manager were informed
of this deadline.  Regardless, according to CCs agent, the offer was withdrawn
on Friday.  He says she never answered and thus quit.  She says the offer was
withdrawn and she was fired.

So far as I can tell (with only a slight amount of speculation on my part <g>),
that seems to be a summary of what we know.  Please feel free to
add/subtract/correct me if I missed something....there's been an awful lot of
posts on this issue in the last few days.

Sue

 #: 687400 S5/Babylon 5: General
    24-Jul-97  03:52:18
Sb: #686853-Claudia Opts Out-JMS
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"CC trusts that JMS will do what he can, but feels that things might be out of
his hands and puts the question to Copeland who tells her (via her agent) that
what JMS offered is "Not possible."

      It is not possible only if one wishes to be paid for all 22.

"5.  A deadline is set for CC to get in touch with WB to confirm S5. According
to CC, she was told this by Conaway and not informed via normal channels (i.e.
via agent, manager, WB).  She tries to contact her agent regarding this but
they miss each other over the weekend."

      Ken Parks of WB Business Affairs informed her agent.  I personally
informed her as well.

"JMS says she had a Friday deadline.  CC says she was told Monday by Conaway
and that neither her agent or manager were informed of this deadline."

      After the Friday deadline passed, Jeff took it upon himself to try and
convince her to go back to the show.  He went to her and said that if she or
her agent contacted WB on Monday, there might be a chance to patch things up.
That was the full extent of it.  Jeff does not represent the show, and was not
asked to convey this to Claudia, and was acting on his own good will to try and
help her out.  It had nothing to do with deadlines.

                                                                    jms

 [ Continued in next section -- BB ]