JMS on CompuServe (Jun 01, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Mon Jun 2 01:19:28 EDT 1997

   ftp://ftp.johndelenn.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/

    Sb: #673145-#Season 5
    Sb: #673173-Converted Ones
    Sb: #673103-News on Pilot/2ndy Chars
    Sb: #673163-#No Surrender No retreat
    Sb: #673172-No Surrender, No Retreat
    Sb: #673324-#Next Season in Future?
    Sb: #673353-#< NS,NR > L&G
    Sb: #673423-#JMS vs. The Beatles
    Sb: #673372-<NS, NR>
    Sb: #673473-#C4 Web Site

 #: 673358 S5/Babylon 5: General
    31-May-97  21:48:55
Sb: #673145-#Season 5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"Is the cast under contract for season five, should it happen?.  Now that
you've wrapped the final episode, is there any danger of losing Bruce, Claudia,
Jerry, Mira, etc to other committments while you wait to see if season is a
go?"

      No, the contracts have nothing to do with that episode, we still have
options on all our cast members.

"You mentioned that you were already shooting Thirdspace, the first B5 movie.
Wasn't "In The Beginning" the Minbari war story going to be first?"

      The prequel is aired first, but produced second, because B5 didn't exist
during the prequel time period, so rather than tear and and rebuild sets, we're
doing Thirdspace first.

    30-May-97  19:56:16
Sb: #Converted Ones
Fm: DOUGLAS PILIGIAN

Joe,

I wrote and told you a story several month ago about a close friend who lived
in the mountains but who after a couple of episodes became hooked.  She hadn't
seen anything since Whatever Happened to Mr Garibaldi.  So this past week she
was here for a visit and the first thing she asks is "so what's up with those
people on Babylon 5?"  Needless to say we spent the next few days watching all
the episodes up to date.  It still amazes me how Babylon 5 can touch someone
who doesn't like TV, cares for "space stuff" even less, and yet the first
things she asks is a question about Babylon 5.  That's some kind of power you
have there.

Doug

 #: 673359 S5/Babylon 5: General
    31-May-97  21:48:58
Sb: #673173-Converted Ones
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      That's wonderful, thanks....

                                                                    jms

 #: 673360 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    31-May-97  21:49:00
Sb: #673103-News on Pilot/2ndy Chars
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"Speaking of cuts, I asked this question of all and sundry, but people don't
seem to know... Will B5 be released on LaserDisc or DVD ever? Even if there are
no current plans for such, what do you think of the idea / chances?"

      I have every confidence it'll happen in the fullness of time.

    30-May-97  19:06:41
Sb: #No Surrender No retreat
Fm: BOB KOSLOSKY

JMS,

     I'm still trying to understand the proportions of ship fire power in B5.
The Shadows were thousands of years advanced and yet, despite heavy casulties
on the White Stars, proved vulnerable to them.  It seems to me that the White
Stars (particularly in the numbers I perceived in this Ep)  should have been
able to deal with the Earth ships like lamb to a slaughter.   Yet I did not get
this impression from this Ep.  And Sheridan goes on to say that it's going to
get harder??   After the Shadows, I would think that Earth ships would be easy
stuff against Sheridan's White Star fleet.  What gives?

Respectfully,

Bob

 #: 673361 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    31-May-97  21:49:02
Sb: #673163-#No Surrender No retreat
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"It seems to me that the White Stars (particularly in the numbers I perceived
in this Ep)  should have been able to deal with the Earth ships like lamb to a
slaughter."

      Yeah, if all you want is to slaughter fellow humans and officers; if you
want to try to minimize the body count of your fellow officers, who you want to
eventually side with you, it's more difficult, you have to keep the kid gloves
on...which endangers you in the long run.

    30-May-97  19:50:40
Sb: #No Surrender, No Retreat
Fm: DOUGLAS PILIGIAN

Joe,

Some comments about this last episode.  First the quality of the CGI just keeps
getting better and better.  The close-up shots from the command deck and then
panning back to the ships there were simply beautiful as were the shots of the
EF destroyers closeup.

 However, as spectacular as the effects are they never seems to over shadow the
actors, unlike so many other shows.  The scenes between Londo and G'Kar were
terrific.  It's been a long time since we've seen them together.  You could
tell that Londo was a proud man, very patriotic, and that the whole
conversation was difficult for him.  Yet at the same time you could tell that
he really needed to say what he had to say.  "I don't know who my enemies are,
but I do know who my friends are".  All he went through, everyone who played
him, used him, and for what.  We've seen Londo go from the fool to the
darkness, and now seeking out redemption.  Excellent writing.  (I wish I could
write 1/100th as well as you when doing these posts, I know what I want to say,
but the keyboard won't say it).

One technology comment.  The White Star ships are based on Vorlon and Minbari
technology.  We know they can destroy shadow ships, etc.  Yet it seemed that
the EF ships had no trouble locking onto them and scoring several hits.

Once again, thanks for creating this wonderful story, and for sharing it with
the rest of us.

Doug

 #: 673362 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    31-May-97  21:49:05
Sb: #673172-No Surrender, No Retreat
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yeah, the Londo/G'Kar stuff was nifty...and yes, he's struggling toward
redemption as best he can, making a real effort, which is important, because if
he's going to end up with a Keeper on him eventually, as we've seen, best to
feel for him, which you can't if he's a bad guy.

      Set 'em up, knock 'em down....

    31-May-97  15:19:55
Sb: #Next Season in Future?
Fm: DEBRA DWNSO

Okay, I  have had 3 different friends on other servers tell me that they heard
that if there is another season it will be set 13 years in the future.  Do they
know something I don't know?

 #: 673363 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    31-May-97  21:49:07
Sb: #673324-#Next Season in Future?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Your friends are all wrong.

      One episode, "Sleeping in Light," takes place 20 years down the road. The
B5 series itself is contiguous, so S5 would be in 2262.

                                                                    jms

   glass... priceless." ]

 #: 673364 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    31-May-97  21:49:09
Sb: #673353-#< NS,NR > L&G
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks...I like the quiet moments a lot...and Londo's trying *so* hard.

      Peter does a great job as Londo, even absolutely silent.  You can't stop
watching him, just to see what he does.

                                                                    jms

   wish I had permission to reproduce it.  Title: "BABYLON WRITER." ]

 #: 673477 S5/Babylon 5: General
    01-Jun-97  16:08:00
Sb: #673423-#JMS vs. The Beatles
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Careful...my only response here would be either Helter Skelter or the
last few stanzas of Norwegian Wood....

      Scripts make a very pretty fire....

    31-May-97  22:10:30
Sb: #<NS, NR>
Fm: RAE AUGENSTEIN

I just wanted to say "Thanks" for the beautiful scenes between Londo and G'Kar.
Even in an episode so compelling and exciting as "NS,NR," the quiet moment
between those two stands far above the rest of the excellent episode. It nearly
brings a tear to my eye every time I watch it (which is three already since
Thursday, and counting). Your resolution to their situation was superb... I
liked the fact the G'Kar made Londo squirm for so long, and then reluctantly
agreed with him.

Got a question for ya: Where the heck is Proxima 3? And is it a planet? A moon?
How long has it been an Earth colony? What's the population? Just curious...

Thanks!

        Rae ^^^^

 #: 673478 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    01-Jun-97  16:08:02
Sb: #673372-<NS, NR>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks...those scenes really worked for me as well.

      Proxima 3 is in the Proxima Centauri system, next door to Proxima 2, but
no one goes there because the tourist season is way too short.

                                                                    jms

   viewers.. ]

 #: 673479 S7/Babylon 5: UK/World
    01-Jun-97  16:08:05
Sb: #673473-#C4 Web Site
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I haven't been on the C4 web site in almost a year...if someone is there
saying it's me, it ain't.  Can you clarify this?  (And leave me the web address
since I've probably lost it?)