JMS on CompuServe (Jun 19, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* (1/2)

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Fri Jun 20 02:35:16 EDT 1997

   ftp://ftp.johndelenn.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/

    Sb: #678002-sequel
    Sb: #678270-Rerun redux...
    Sb: #678429-More Novels?
    Sb: #678520-B5 Fan Club Note (jms)
    Sb: #678219-<Face of the Enemy>
    Sb: #678205-<Face of the Enemy>
    Sb: #678218-Guest Star
    Sb: #678279-Guest Star
    Sb: #678381-<Intersections>
    Sb: #678166-<This is ITS story>
    Sb: #678328-Great Stuff - 418
    Sb: #678330-<<Intersections>>
    Sb: #678382-Vorlons in new novel
    Sb: #678531-Cliffhangers -- Why?

 #: 678002 S5/Babylon 5: General
    16-Jun-97  17:13:29
Sb: #sequel
Fm: BRUCE "FIRESTORM" S.

JMS..

Just a question...

As I recall, previously, you said that you wouldn't do any Babylon 5 sequels
and that you would go to other projects like writing novels & etc.

What made you change your mind on the sequel now that you're pushing for a
sequel about the Rangers?

 #: 678107 S5/Babylon 5: General
    17-Jun-97  01:49:11
Sb: #678002-sequel
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"As I recall, previously, you said that you wouldn't do any Babylon 5 sequels
and that you would go to other projects like writing novels & etc.  What made
you change your mind on the sequel now that you're pushing for a sequel about
the Rangers?"

      Nope.  I said that the B5 story per se ended in 5 years.  I have also
said, *from the very start*, as the old timers here, and at conventions, will
testify, that there was always a side-story that could go off and be a
different novel set in the same universe.  So you'll understand why I can't
really defend a statement that I never made.

                                                                    jms

   the rerun schedule is chosen. ]

 #: 678825 S5/Babylon 5: General
    19-Jun-97  21:21:03
Sb: #678270-Rerun redux...
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      The schedule of new episodes is designed to accommodate sweeps periods.

      As for the coming reruns, the theory there is to back up from 419 to the
number of weeks preceding it so that the reruns ramp up to, and run right into,
419 (first new ep back) so that folks who dived in late will be able to catch
up.

    18-Jun-97  12:24:12
Sb: #More Novels?
Fm: SYSOP LEE WHITESIDE

Joe, I haven't seen anything elsewhere on this.  Is DELL planning any more
novels past the latest one?

 #: 678826 S5/Babylon 5: General
    19-Jun-97  21:21:05
Sb: #678429-More Novels?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      They have always licensed 3 at a time, waited for renewal news, then
licensed 3 more.

    18-Jun-97  19:28:06
Sb: #665325-#B5 Fan Club Note (jms)
Fm: SANJIV  S. PURBA

Joe,

How do we join the fan club?

Sanjiv

 #: 678827 S5/Babylon 5: General
    19-Jun-97  21:21:08
Sb: #678520-B5 Fan Club Note (jms)
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      You can get info at www.thestation.com.

                                                                    jms

 #: 678828 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    19-Jun-97  21:21:11
Sb: #678219-<Face of the Enemy>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

Wade had a great line about the clash of homo sapiens and Neanderthals in
Carthage.  Was this line inspired by some of the recent Neanderthal finds? Or
was this part of your orignial conception for the story?

      Not recent stuff, just a general knowledge of this area.

Did Edgars really believe the Earthgov propaganda that Sheridan was operating
under the malignant influence of aliens?

      Nope.

Is Bester really done with Garibaldi?

      For the moment.

One of the captains of the Earth vessels is named Leo Frank.  Was this a
deliberate historical reference?

      Not intentionally.

Franklin and Number One seem to have cooled their relationship.   Any further
developments in the works here?

      Any more personal stuff got set aside when Franklin showed up a) with
another female, and b) she was a teep.  When #1 calms down, they might take
another shot at it.

Lastly, there is a bit of irony in the fact that the stage for Sheridan's
capture is set when he steps aboard his old ship, the Agamemnon.  Agamemnon was
the supreme commander of the Greek forces at Troy, who survived that long war,
but who was betrayed and murdered by his wife when he returned home. He blindly
and arrogantly stepped into a trap, as Sheridan also seemed to do.

      Yeah...that's one of many reasons why I picked that image/reference. It
plays on a LOT of levels in the story.

    17-Jun-97  13:03:43
Sb: #<Face of the Enemy>
Fm: MARTIN TOGGWEILER

Congratulations Joe,

I've never been left so disturbed by a TV show/movie in my adult life ("Night
of the Living Dead" and "Omega Man" worked when I was a kid) as I was left by
FoE.  Despite the fact that the unfolding of events was not unexpected, the
execution of them succeeded in giving me an uneasy night of sleep.  You sure
can "knock'em down".  I'm hoping "Intersections" goes a long way to "set'em
back up" again, before having to endure the Summer of Darkness (3 months+ w/o
new B5).

Is there anymore a fan can do help bring about a season 5?

Cheers,

Martin Toggweiler

 #: 678829 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    19-Jun-97  21:21:13
Sb: #678205-<Face of the Enemy>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks...it's a good one.  We'll have to see how soon we can find any
reassurance....

                                                                    jms

   flattering comments from a lady who was a junior editor working on JMS'
   original "The Complete Book of Scriptwriting." ]

 #: 678830 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    19-Jun-97  21:21:16
Sb: #678218-Guest Star
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks...and my best to Barbara.

    17-Jun-97  18:03:08
Sb: #677825-#Guest Star
Fm: DOUGLAS PILIGIAN

Joe,

Well, he was great as Mr. Edgars, brought great depth to the character, too bad
you had to kill him off ;)

I've always been curious.  Do guest stars just look at roles like these as
"another day in the office"?  I've read so much about how your production is
run in such a different manner than other companies.  The group lunches, they
way people in the production like yourself are so available, etc.  Do the
guests ever comment about that, do they even notice any difference?

Doug

 #: 678831 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    19-Jun-97  21:21:18
Sb: #678279-Guest Star
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Usually guest stars show up with "another job" in their head...but by the
time they leave we've converted 'em, and we often get notes from them saying
how great the experience was, and wanting to come back.  Sometimes they become
part of the extended family, and just come by to hang out.

                                                                    jms

   And comments on "Intersections in Real Time" feeling more like a play
   than a TV episode. ]

 #: 678832 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    19-Jun-97  21:21:21
Sb: #678381-<Intersections>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Because they don't want him reprogrammed; as William says, another teep
could see that he'd been altered.  They want him *sincerely broken*.  Not just
rewired.

      And yeah, I wanted this to function almost as a play in structure.  In
fact, when we shot it, we did it in full-act chunks.  The actors would come in
in the morning, rehearse it as they would a play, then we'd shoot it the way
we'd shoot a play, straight through.

                                                                    jms

   literary point of view. ]

 #: 678833 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    19-Jun-97  21:21:23
Sb: #678166-<This is ITS story>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Each narration is from that character's point of view, it's not an
auctorial intrusion.  And each is specific *to that time*.  It's not a policy
statment.  It's a means of tracking the show at various points over the five
year arc.  If it's JUST about keeping peace...then you don't have an arc.

      The show is about change.

    17-Jun-97  22:23:23
Sb: #Great Stuff - 418
Fm: DEGAN OUTRIDGE

Joe,

 What a terrific episode.  Pure psychological game-playing.  The interrogator
was all the more ominious because I *believed* that this was just another job.
If he had the smallest idealogical axe to grind...he wouldn't have been so
chilling.

 The pace was subtle, but totally absorbing.  At the end, I was terribly proud
of Sheridan when he claimed his mental victory, refusing to break...and was
stunned when even that most final victory was rendered impotent as the sequence
began again.  We're left with the uneasy question -- how many times can this
loop play out before he edges toward despair?

 Wonderful writing and wonderful acting -- special congrats to Bruce.
 This was powerful for me.  Thanks.

  -Degan Outridge

 #: 678834 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    19-Jun-97  21:21:26
Sb: #678328-Great Stuff - 418
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks.  I like this one a lot.  It takes some real chances, and it has
some nasty twists and turns.  I like that in a story....

    17-Jun-97  22:40:54
Sb: #<<Intersections>>
Fm: JOHN BOVENMYER

Joe,

Interesting dichotomy.  Interrogator keeps pounding on two points:

1) The truth is fluid, etc.
2) HE'S telling the absolute unvarnished truth.

I almost expected Sheridan to point this out, but decided you'd rather let us
notice on our own.

Also the interrogator mentioned developing tolerance for poison must be a
metaphor for something.  One appropriate metaphor would be lies.  Swallowing
little lies every day lets the whoppers go down easier.

Now we've got 3 cliffhangers:
1) What happens to Sheridan?
2) How long do we have to wait to find out?
3) Do we get season five or will Joe wrap this in just 3 more episodes, at
least one of which is already in the can?!

Are _Between the Darkness and the Light_ and _Endgame_ being deferred to
maintain wriggle room still for season 5, are they done, or did you film enough
so you could edit them down to work with either 4 or 5 season runs after the
cast was done shooting?

John

 #: 678835 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    19-Jun-97  21:21:28
Sb: #678330-<<Intersections>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Best to wait and see what's in mind for those later episodes.

                                                                    jms

   have names, is it correct to say that Kosh 2 actually had another
   name but he wouldn't let people know?" ]

 #: 678836 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    19-Jun-97  21:21:30
Sb: #678382-Vorlons in new novel
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yes, he had another name or designation (Naranek is actually a title, not
a name, hence why they both had it) and was primarily being a pain in the butt.

    18-Jun-97  20:34:15
Sb: #Cliffhangers -- Why?
Fm: REBECCA ESCHLIMAN

jms -

I read somewhere that 418 gave the the cliffhanger you wanted (for the viewing
season, if not for the contractual season).

As a viewer, I've found that the now-endemic game of season-end cliffhangers is
annoying.  Granted, that any storytelling, even within a standalone 1-hour
format, is the author manipulating the audience into following along.  But what
I've found aggravating about season-end cliffhangers is that it yanks me out of
the story into awareness of the manipulation.  So what is the payoff for the
author?  What benefit outweighs the breaking of the storytelling/storyviewing
dynamic?

-rje-

To live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else.  -- Emily
Dickinson

 #: 678837 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    19-Jun-97  21:21:33
Sb: #678531-Cliffhangers -- Why?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It's basically a means to get the audience, which has been away for a
long time, to come back to resolve a hanging point and jump-start them into the
episodes.  If it ends cleanly, apparently a lot of folks in any series will
just forget to tune in the following season.

                                                                    jms

 [ Continued in next section -- BB ]