JMS on CompuServe (Mar 03, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* (1/2)

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Mon Mar 3 21:20:23 EST 1997

   ftp://ftp.speedlink.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
                    - or -
   http://www.speedlink.com/bbarrett/b5/
  ######       Support Babylon 5!       ######
  ##      To get a fifth season of this ##
   # ###    wonderful epic, we need to   # ###
     . ## let local stations and Warner    . ##
  ##   ##   Brothers know we want it!   ##   ##
   #####   www.babylon5.com/cmp/support  #####

    Sb: #653417-To Sysops from jms
    Sb: #653139-To Sysops from jms
    Sb: #653179-To Sysops from jms
    Sb: #653407-NEW To Sysops From jms
    Sb: #653129-Minbari facial hair?
    Sb: #653170-email
    Sb: #653191-Subverting Censorware
    Sb: #653309-TNT Air Order
    Sb: #653442-The Dreaming
    Sb: #653281-<<The One and the Nine>>
    Sb: #653397-Van Valen
    Sb: #653430-<Atonement>...Attunement

 #: 653417 S5/Babylon 5: General
    02-Mar-97  18:51:39
Sb: #652161-#To Sysops from jms
Fm: DEONAHA M. CONLIN

Joe,

        Is there a way for those of us not in The Business to glom onto a copy
of FCC rules?

        In the interest of remaining informed, of course.

Di Conlin, Minister of Paranoid Development &
Personality Reconstruction, RMES
Wielder of the Lesser Salmon of Discipline
aka Tigger, FLBA

 #: 653529 S5/Babylon 5: General
    03-Mar-97  01:08:12
Sb: #653417-To Sysops from jms
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I imagine that anyone writing to the FCC in Washington DC can obtain a
copy of the rules, since the FCC is a public agency, regulating the public
airwaves, to ensure they conform to the public "interest, necessity and
convenience."

                                                                    jms

   mentioned earlier that he would expect to be told if he were. ]

 #: 653530 S5/Babylon 5: General
    03-Mar-97  01:08:13
Sb: #653139-To Sysops from jms
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"Think it'll happen though?"

      When hasn't it?

      I've been told I'm a jerk before, will be in future; and in a sense, your
message wondering if my actions were right was implicitly implying a potential
state of Jerk...and that's okay.

      You're wrong, of course....

    02-Mar-97  09:14:24
Sb: #653091-#To Sysops from jms
Fm: WIZOP WES MEIER

>>  Related question, Wes:  When a conference is promoted at the opening menu,
does it bring in a substantial number of folks who are not *already* members of
the forum? <<

Historically, yes.  ANY mention of a forum activity generates a spike in usage.
That's why the What's New "real estate" is so highly valued by the SysOp
community.

>>I was just thinking that folks not into SF likely would not show up for a
conference with an SF type...and those into SF are likely already aware of it
from the on-site notice. <<

True, but much depends on the nature of the event.  For example, if we
announced a formal conference with Joe Blow, first time author of a new book,
most likely the non-science fiction folks wouldn't bat an eyelash.

OTOH, if we announced "Live from Sri Lanka!  Join with us in a conference with
ARTHUR C. CLARKE discussing his latest book, 3001!  GO SFMEDONE", then you bet
your bippy there'd be a lot of non-SF mavens in attendence.  Name recognition
counts.

                - Wes

 #: 653531 S5/Babylon 5: General
    03-Mar-97  01:08:14
Sb: #653179-To Sysops from jms
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I see.  Though, that would apply only to SFMEDONE, if it got the PC
label...you could still hold COs on SFMEDTWO, with different forums.  In other
words...let's say, worst case scenario, SF1 gets PC'd.  No opening menu
announcements.  But SF2 is *not* PC'd.  So the CO could be held there; and
since they're both (presumably) under the same roof, it all works out the same,
yes?

                                                                    jms

   fair usage responds to JMS' reply.  "Joe, I really wish you wouldn't
   try to ascribe motives to my questions. You don't know me well enough
   to even come close to being correct." ]

 #: 653532 S5/Babylon 5: General
    03-Mar-97  01:08:16
Sb: #653407-NEW To Sysops From jms
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Okay.  You're right.

                                                                    jms

 #: 653533 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    03-Mar-97  01:08:18
Sb: #653129-Minbari facial hair?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Other Minbari have had facial hair; including Draal v1.0 and Kalain in
"Points of Departure."  It's certainly not common, though.

    02-Mar-97  09:11:38
Sb: #email
Fm: CATHERINE BECIC

Oh. Another question.  About how much email do you average a day?
Catherine Becic

 #: 653534 S5/Babylon 5: General
    03-Mar-97  01:08:21
Sb: #653170-email
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Email...maybe 60-80 per day, sometimes more.  In public forum messages,
on various systems...hundreds.

      I try to answer as much as I can, but often the questions are too
complex, or ask for elaborate story discussion ("Can you give me the history of
Minbar before Earth made contact?"), or have multiple-subquestions to the point
where I can't deal with ANY of it.

      See, the problem is, everyone thinks "Well, it's just me, after all."
Well, according to our ratings, there are between 10-15 million "me's" out
there.  But often folks don't understand that.

      For instance, a guy sent me a piece of email recently with 13 *very*
elaborate and detailed questions, much along the lines of the one just quoted
above.  I couldn't get into any of them, there were just too many, and they
were much too involved.  A week later, I got a VERY angry and agitated letter
from that person saying what a jerk I was for not answering his questions, that
he had taken the time to write them so I had an obligation to answer them, he's
the Fan who is keeping the show alive and we owe this to the fans who support
us...he got fairly abusive about it.  "It shouldn't take too much of the BUSY
PRODUCER'S TIME to answer ONE LETTER!" he said in conclusion.

      Sure, if it WERE just one letter.  But it ain't.

      Other times, people will leave public or private mail *demanding* I
answer something, as though I were under contract to them, or paid to be here.
Suffice to say that I generally ignore such notes.

      It's worth noting, though, that those remain the exceptions to the rule;
most of the online crowd is well-behaved and intelligent and courtous,
especially among B5 fans.

                                                                    jms

   content guidlines can be a good thing. ]

 #: 653535 S5/Babylon 5: General
    03-Mar-97  01:08:24
Sb: #653191-Subverting Censorware
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Never said there shouldn't be guidelines.  The only question was the
extent, the degree, and the clarity or consistency with which those rules are
applied.  The general concensus was that the rule was being *over*applied. So
now let's see how it shakes down before taking the next logical step.

    02-Mar-97  14:53:33
Sb: #TNT Air Order
Fm: BARBARA PFIEFFER

Joe:

With the TNT airing of episodes coming up next year, I have a question.  Some
of the episodes (particularly first season) were shown out of order.  For
instance, Soul Mates, and I remember that Quality of Mercy was supposed to be
shown in a much different air position then it was.  What order will TNT air
the episodes in?  In the original air order, or in the order you originally
intended, that for various reasons aired differently?

Thanks, Joe.

Barbara

 #: 653536 S5/Babylon 5: General
    03-Mar-97  01:08:27
Sb: #653309-TNT Air Order
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I'll be discussing this issue with TNT in the near future, at which time
we'll get into the preferred air order, which probably won't be a problem for
them to follow.

    02-Mar-97  19:23:43
Sb: #The Dreaming
Fm: BEN DIBBLE

Hi Joe,
I just watched "Atonement" which I enjoyed very much, however, there is
something that puzzles me.  In both scenes where Delenn enters the Dreaming,
once with Lennier alone and once with Lennier and Kalenn (sp?), they all drink
from the same cup.  What then is the deciding factor as to whose memories are
experienced by all present? Is it whoever "allows" themselves to be drawn into
the experience, who wills it to happen to them?

Thanks for the episode.  I particularly enjoyed seeing Delenn at a younger age.
I thought that she looked younger when she was the acolyte than when she later
was made a member of the council.  Terrific job on the part of the makeup crew.

Beth

 #: 653537 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    03-Mar-97  01:08:29
Sb: #653442-The Dreaming
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

         I think the order or dominance of the drug is probably determined by
the contents of the script....

                                    jm(oh, look, over there, a comet)s

 #: 653281 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    02-Mar-97  12:52:46
Sb: #653086-#<<The One and the Nine>>
Fm: DAVE VINCENT

JMS,

I noticed a ship leading the fighters in the scene where the Earth ships
stumble on the Minbari.  It was larger than the Starfuries and looked like it
might be some sort of Wild Weasel type.  Could you identify this ship?
Also, Book 4, Clark's Law says the explorer vessel was the DSEV Amundsen.  Is
this the case?

Regards,
Dave

 #: 653538 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    03-Mar-97  01:08:31
Sb: #653281-<<The One and the Nine>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      There was the Prometheus, which was there; and others, including the
Amundsen.  The one you saw, which looks a bit like the Aggy but without the
rotating section, is another, smaller class of destroyer also seen, I believe,
in "Dreams."

    02-Mar-97  18:19:48
Sb: #Van Valen
Fm: MICHAEL  ZITAGLIO

Hi,

Valen is way way COOL, Joe!!!   You have a knack of creating such inspirational
and likable characters. Even I would have followed the guy.     The way the
character was written along with the casting was perfect.  Did you already have
him pictured in your head?  Did it make casting easier?   I am always in awe
when I see the EA ships.  Who designed them?  I can be creative when it comes
to making crafts or building furniture, but to think up such artistic designs
is beyond me.  Things I have designed at work are functional ( hopefully) but
hardly artistic.  I envy people like that.

PS.  Didnt think Minbari could grow beards.  Love to see more Neroon.

Mike

 #: 653539 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    03-Mar-97  01:08:33
Sb: #653397-Van Valen
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Actually, that was Dukhat, and yeah, that's pretty close to how I saw him
in my head.  Definitely a bigger than life fellow.

    02-Mar-97  19:01:43
Sb: #<Atonement>...Attunement
Fm: REBECCA ESCHLIMAN

jms -

I am one of those who really appreciate episodes delving further into the
cultures of the other races involved in B5 -- especially the Minbari -- so I
find "Atonement" to be a marvellous companion-piece to "The Illusion of Truth,"
while exploring the information/misinformation/disinformation theme in a
different way.

The tangential scenes were delightful as links to previous episodes (Zach's
concern about uniform fit, Susan's hazardous position as chief-Drazi pro tem,
G'Kar's eye), but at the same time, they acted as refutation of the Minbari's
original doubts about the wisdom of contacting humans.  Each of these scenes
showed benefits to the alien races from interaction with humans.  The Minbari
Worker caste has actually gained employment; the "new ideas" so feared by the
Religious caste has benefitted the Drazi, and the savagery dismissed by the
warrior caste results in the technology able to help G'Kar.

The scene with G'Kar was also a nice echo to the Minbari's concern for racial
purity.  His concern for proper eye color may be as much a fear of becoming not
truly Narn as was his refusal to scream for Cartagia.

Delenn's flexibility in interpreting the 3-night-watch (so now the night aboard
the White Star counts?) reflects Calenn's later flexibility in assuring that
Delenn gets what she wants (assuring her silence, as well, one presumes.)

It seems a good example of the self-consistency given to the alien races that
the Minbari, so concerned with meditation and the life of the mind, are the
ones to use ritualized psychedelia.  (I found a sort of visual pun with the
Dreaming-goblet:  since it seemed to resemble the White Star, there was a link
between the "vessels" -- means of transport.)

So, it seems that standing between the darkness and the light is being a bridge
between Minbari and human.  Being between the candle and the star might then
mean being a bridge between the limited power of isolation and the full power
of the joined cultures.

The Soulhunters seemed like banshees, appearing suddenly to herald great death.

With the Shadow War ended, the Earth may now be a "world gone mad," but from
calculation and greed rather than rage and pain.  Delenn's decision to
retaliate against the humans is counterpoised by Clarke's decision to blow up
Santiago's ship -- both acts have longterm, galactic consequences.

Finally, Mira Furlan did a brilliant job with Delenn's many selves (as did Bill
Mumy with conveying Lennier's essential dignity beyond cultural formality).

-rje-

To live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else.  -- Emily
Dickinson

 #: 653540 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    03-Mar-97  01:08:35
Sb: #653430-<Atonement>...Attunement
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Good points.  Speaking of visual puns, someone pointed out that in
"Epiphanies," you've got Zack leaving customs, saying of whoever comes through
next, "it might be the Second Coming and I'm five sins behind on penance," and
who walks in...but the Three Kings....

                                                                    jms

 [ Continued in next section -- BB ]