JMS on CompuServe (Nov 25, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* (1/2)

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Tue Nov 25 20:11:41 EST 1997

   ftp://ftp.johndelenn.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/

    Sb: #7578-#Claudia
    Sb: #7641-#Claudia
    Sb: #7599-#Columbia House tape
    Sb: #7639-#Columbia House tape
    Sb: #7417-#Where did B5 go?
    Sb: #7442-Voice-over on TNT ads
    Sb: #7530-#Directors
    Sb: #7640-#Directors
    Sb: #7679-#Creation Convention
    Sb: #7824-I am not a Number !!!!
    Sb: #7507-The Last ep (wow)
    Sb: #7510-#directors
    Sb: #7681-directors
    Sb: #7475-directors
    Sb: #7726-#a recommendation
    Sb: #7451-#Emporium & ordering?

   Superman or The Colbys." ]

 #: 7619 S2/Bab 5: General
    23-Nov-97  20:59:08
Sb: #7578-#Claudia
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      The part of Lochley is very different from any of those roles; it was
almost certainly the character you were responding to.  Having now seen her in
a number of episodes, I think she's one of the best additions we've had on the
show, quite honestly.  And she's going to be very popular...though in an
offbeat sort of way, because of who *this* character is.

                                                                    jms

 #: 7641 S2/Bab 5: General
    24-Nov-97  07:07:05
Sb: #7619-#Claudia
Fm: ANNE L. WARNER

Joe,

Does Tracy have an e-mail box at thestation?

Anne

 #: 7768 S2/Bab 5: General
    24-Nov-97  23:11:07
Sb: #7641-#Claudia
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I'm not sure; if not, she will soon.  We've been trying to get her
online officially...I know she lurks about, and has an eye on AOL and others,
but I kinda need to nudge her out into the light a bit.

                                                                    jms

 #: 7599 S2/Bab 5: General
    23-Nov-97  17:31:10
Sb: #7366-#Columbia House tape
Fm: DEONAHA M. CONLIN

Joe,

	Thanks.  <G>

<<<<<<<SPOILER FOR DECONSTRUCTION OF FALLING STARS FOLLOWS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

	Just rewatched 'Deconstruction', and saw a sign reading 'Sic Transit
<somthing>' at the reception.  I've rewound it and rewatched it seven or eight
times, and I can't make it out.  It's really making me crazy - please, what
does it say???

Di Conlin, TUS , Wielder of the Lesser Salmon of Discipline
Supreme Dominatrix, RMES
"Great Maker, huh?  (Wolf 359,  Blackpool, July 1997)
"YOU!  OUT of the gene pool!"

 #: 7628 S2/Bab 5: General
    24-Nov-97  00:26:05
Sb: #7599-#Columbia House tape
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Sic transit ingloria mundi...thus passes the glory of the world.

                                                                    jms

 #: 7639 S2/Bab 5: General
    24-Nov-97  07:07:04
Sb: #7628-#Columbia House tape
Fm: ANNE L. WARNER

Joe,

>>   Sic transit ingloria mundi...thus passes the glory of the world. <<

Did the sign actually say "ingloria?"  Should be just plain "gloria."  Now I
have to pull out the tape and check.  grrrrrr.  <happy grin at an excuse!>

Anne

 #: 7769 S2/Bab 5: General
    24-Nov-97  23:11:07
Sb: #7639-#Columbia House tape
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It does say gloria...sorry, I had a brain-fart...see, there's a famous
New York Times headline pun that appeared the Monday that the subways went on
strike that slips into my brain whenever I write the original latin version;
the headline read SICK TRANSIT, INGLORIOUS MONDAY.

      It's like one of songs you get in your head and it won't go away.

      (The other famous Latin pun they did was on a building being demolished,
which read EDIFICE WRECKS.)

                                                                    jms

 #: 7417 S2/Bab 5: General
    21-Nov-97  22:59:09
Sb: #7389-Where did B5 go?
Fm: CARL CANTARELLA

	I've heard a rumor that "Crusade" is being considered for the WB
Network rather than TNT, though I don't know if there's any truth to it
whatsoever.
			Has anyone else heard something similar?

 #: 7525 S2/Bab 5: General
    22-Nov-97  23:05:11
Sb: #7417-#Where did B5 go?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Nope, totally untrue.

                                                                    jms

   WORD JAZZ fame?" ]

 #: 7521 S2/Bab 5: General
    22-Nov-97  22:53:13
Sb: #7442-Voice-over on TNT ads
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I've actually no idea, TNT produced them and I didn't get that info.

                                                                    jms

 #: 7530 S2/Bab 5: General
    23-Nov-97  04:25:08
Sb: #Directors
Fm: PHIL LENTON

Is Michael Vejar going to be directing any upcoming episodes of B5?

Thanks.

 #: 7580 S2/Bab 5: General
    23-Nov-97  15:44:06
Sb: #7530-#Directors
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yup, Mike is doing a number of S5 episodes for us.  And he directed the
prequel.

                                                                    jms

 #: 7640 S2/Bab 5: General
    24-Nov-97  07:07:05
Sb: #7580-#Directors
Fm: ANNE L. WARNER

Joe,

While you're on the subject, what about Janet Greek?  I really like her work.

Anne

 #: 7770 S2/Bab 5: General
    24-Nov-97  23:11:07
Sb: #7640-#Directors
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Janet has done work for us this season, including "No Compromises," the
debut 5th season episode.

                                                                    jms

   at the Creation Convention this coming weekend." ]

 #: 7771 S2/Bab 5: General
    24-Nov-97  23:11:08
Sb: #7679-#Creation Convention
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Bruce mentioned about a week or two ago that he would be at Creation
this weekend.

                                                                    jms

   Realtime" was a Prisoner homage responds to JMS. ]

 #: 7835 S3/Bab 5:International
    25-Nov-97  13:58:14
Sb: #7824-I am not a Number !!!!
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"Touchy, touchy!  What's up Joe, hectic schedule or too many late nights on
the web?"

      No, I do sometimes get annoyed by people whose worldview is so small
that they think that interrogation began with "The Prisoner" TV show and don't
seem to know anything about the real world...and want to narrow you down to
their view by saying that what you did springs from there, rather than the
aforementioned real world.  Fine, I'm glad that you've seen the Prisoner...now
read a book or two about what happens to political prisoners in the real
world.  Then we'll talk.

     Further, as a writer you strive to create something original...and when
someone comes along and says, of something based on the real world, on
research, on stuff I encountered while getting my degree in clinical
psychology, on years spent supporting PEN and Amnesty International, "Oh, you
were just doing "The Prisoner"...it tends to grate.

"So where did the inspiration for the interrogators attire come from. You know
dark suit, the hint of gold trim and buttons on the collar."

      Well, if you paid attention to the show you'd know that's a standard
business suit which we've used many times before and thereafter; we literally
pulled it off the rack in wardrobe.  You saw that as a Prisoner suit because
that's what you wanted to see.

      The problem isn't in the object being perceived; the problem is in the
narrow world view of the perceiver who bends everything to fit what he knows.

                                                                    jms

 #: 7522 S4/Bab 5: **SPOILERS**
    22-Nov-97  22:53:13
Sb: #7507-The Last ep (wow)
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks; it's one of the things I try to do sometimes...I basically give
you my playbook, I tell you I'm coming right up the middle, which makes the
challenge on this side that much harder...you already know where I'm going to
be, now I have to do it in such a way that it comes as a surprise regardless.

      This is actually more a literary device than a TV device; there are any
number of books (and some movies) which start at the end, proceed to the
middle, and end on the beginning.

      Because my background is in theater and prose, my natural inclination is
to play with the form as much as possible.  So each season there's been at
least one episode that's "off-format" for us...Intersections was one, And Now
for a Word was another, The Illusion of Truth, Deconstruction...and in S5 so
far almost half the episodes have been off-format in one fashion or another.
With this as the last year, I figure I may as well go for broke and try some
unusual things.  If you can't do these things when you're starting out,
because it's too odd, you should at least do them when you're doing well and
can afford the risk.

                                                                    jms

 #: 7510 S4/Bab 5: **SPOILERS**
    22-Nov-97  19:06:00
Sb: #7367-#directors
Fm: REBECCA ESCHLIMAN

jms,

<< (actually the 21st episode of S5 since 422 is now 522 and 501 was
made 422), >>

This sounds like the basis for a Danny Kaye patter song...

-rje-

The best thing we can do is to make wherever we're lost in look as much
like home as we can. -- Christopher Fry

 #: 7524 S4/Bab 5: **SPOILERS**
    22-Nov-97  22:53:14
Sb: #7510-#directors
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"This sounds like the basis for a Danny Kaye patter song..."

      "The vessel with the pestle has the potion with the poison, the flagon
with the dragon holds the brew that is true...."

      Something is seriously wrong with me that I know that by heart.

                                                                    jms

   Danny Kaye movies.  ]

 #: 7772 S4/Bab 5: **SPOILERS**
    24-Nov-97  23:11:08
Sb: #7681-directors
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"Fatigue Psychosis, obviously!   YOU MUST SLEEP NOW...."

      Boy, don't I know it...worked all weekend on 515, "Meditations on the
Abyss," finished it at 2 a.m. last night (Sunday night/Monday morning), turned
my attention to finishing the outline for the second B5 novel in the Psi Corps
trilogy coming out next year from Del Rey until 4 a.m., then from 4-4:45 a.m.
viewed the director's cut of 510 and made my notes so I could go in this
morning, getting up at 9 a.m. to do my producer's cut.

      I hate Mondays.

                                                                    jms

 #: 7523 S4/Bab 5: **SPOILERS**
    22-Nov-97  22:53:14
Sb: #7475-directors
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"any idea when Channel 4 in the UK will show the movies?"

      No, that information has not yet found its way to me.

                                                                    jms

   really good food, anything like that you can recommend we check
   out?" ]

 #: 7773 S4/Bab 5: **SPOILERS**
    24-Nov-97  23:11:08
Sb: #7726-#a recommendation
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      For hole-in-the-wall, try Salome Indian Restaurant at the corner of
Magnolia and Lankershim in Studio City...what I like about it is that it
doesn't back up and bite you an hour after eating it, which (for me) a lot of
Indian food does, though I'm very fond of it nonetheless.  You don't go for
the decor, but the food is great.  Try the Chicken Tikka, the meat samosa for
appetizer, or the Dal soup, the Beef or Chicke Korma, Poori bread, maybe some
nice vegetable biryani.  I tend to eat there regularly.  (Another terrific
Indian restaurant is Taj Majal on Ventura Boulevard in Encino, around the
16000 block or so.  They do a mango-corn chowder that's terrific, and just
about everything else is good as well.)

      For Chinese, the Panda Inn in Glendale, at Wilson and Brand.  They
turned into a chain, but this is one of the original Panda Inns, and the food
is spectacular.  I recommend the Lemon Chicken, the Hot Braised Sliced Fish,
the Panda Beef (crispy, very nice), the Crab/Corn soup, and if you like
shrimp, the walnut shrimp is very nice.

      For coffee shops, Priscilla's in Toluca Lake (all these references are
in the Valley...I don't get out much) near Riverside and Hollywood Way is a
common hangout for studio types, and the Horseshoe Cafe on Ventura near Van
Nuys Boulevard is a trendy college place.  Both make great mochas.

      Beyond that, I don't tend to go to clubs or trendoid places, I stay home
and I write.

                                                                    jms

 #: 7451 S5/Fan Club
    22-Nov-97  08:55:12
Sb: Emporium & ordering?
Fm: NEIL S. TURKENKOPF

Hi Sandy :-)

First,I'd like to say how nifty the new improved Emporium looks over at
TheStation! Great job,all!

Now then,I had a little problem there...and I thought that if I asked you
about it here,others could benefit from my mistake. I ordered the B5Guide on
CD-ROM btw,and it was my very first credit card purchase online!  I know,it
sounds a little corny,but I was waiting for something 'special' to come along.
:-)
      Anyway,I must've been a little nervous,and don't think I followed the
instructions properly.(I've noticed that they've been changed since.) I just
-couldn't- figure out how to 'input' my FanClub# !
Naturally,I wanted to get my discount,but did not see any changes on the form.
I also noticed that there was no sales tax charged either,and I should be
charged 6% here in NJ!
     I didn't want to cheat anyone,and so I sent an e-mail right then & there
(from within Netscape) as instructed to: storemanager at thestation.com....but
have not received any reply. I also sent a backup message like this one,but
still no response 3 days later.

I know that this probably sounds trivial to some,but I wanted to do it right
and hopefully prevent the same problems for others. Any comments,suggestions?

Neil  |ªp

 #: 7526 S5/Fan Club
    22-Nov-97  23:05:11
Sb: #7451-#Emporium & ordering?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Send a note to reelkosh at aol.com with the full info, and it'll be taken
care of.

      BTW, the B5 emporium received 100+ orders in just the first 24 hours of
operation, without any real publicity about it.  And all orders went out the
very next day.

                                                                    jms

 [ Continued in next section -- BB ]