Endgame Problems (Spoilers)

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Wed Oct 15 06:30:20 EDT 1997

From: "Andrew H. Litkowiak" <andylit at starnetinc.com>
Date: 14 Oct 1997 14:52:28 -0400

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20

As with 419, Endgame shows great plot problems brought on by rushing the
story.

The absolute worst was the business of smuggling the telepaths aboard
the EA destroyers. You would have me believe that on 30 seperate ships,
not one cargo handler or quartermaster would happen to notice the giant
freezer cases with frozen bodies clearly visible through the glass? Nor
be even slightly disturbed by the PSICORP logos stenciled all over the
place? Not one handler went to his CPO and asked "Gee Chief, I've never
seen one of these before. Where should I put it?" Sorry folks, but JMS
bit the big one on this part.

The fleet is within jammer range as it approaches earth. We run into a
couple of major flaws here.

1) Marcus deserts to return to B5 to save Ivanova. Sheridan feels there
is nothing that can be done because radio contact is not possible due to
EA jamming. Why not detach a single Star Fury to get beyond jammer range
and warn B5 via radio? Or send it dashing back to B5 to warn the staff
in person? Or a shuttle? Or one of the non-aligned world ships. Is one
ship going to make a difference? I think not.

Mega screw up. It just doesn't work. Sheridan would have immedietly
authorized dispatch of a courier. Jammers are old technology and
doctrine would dictate the use of couriers as a regular fallback.
Military commanders have been dispatching couriers as a fallback since
the first semaphore tower was captured way back when. WWI saw land lines
cut, WWII saw radio communications fail, the future will see hypercom
jammers. Secondary lines of communications are not something a commander
forgets, even in the heat of battle, which Sheridan was not at the time
of this mistake.

2) The Agememnon is about to ram the defense grid satellite, conveying
Sheridan and crew to certain doom. At the last moment, the Apollo saves
the day. The General says "We were monitoring the situation" or words to
that effect.

HOW??? No communication is possible through hyper space due to earth
jamming. The Apollo is in Mars orbit, crippled, all comm is out. They
fixed their gear, were able to "monitor" the situation in earth orbit,
even though jammers kept the good guys from communicating, and hypered
in to the precise point in earth orbit to save the day. Give me a break.

Look, I love this show. But part of what I love about it is JMS's
insistance on avoiding the grade B Sci Fi movie crap. The effects of
season compression are painfully evident, as they were throughout much
of season 4. Ohhh, what could have been had there only been time!

Andy Litkowiak