JMS on CompuServe (Oct 16, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Thu Oct 16 22:07:29 EDT 1997

   ftp://ftp.johndelenn.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/

    Sb: #1386-#<Darkness>
    Sb: #1399-<D&L: Sheridan=Christ?>

 #: 1386 S4/Bab 5: **SPOILERS**
    14-Oct-97  14:18:00
Sb: #1150-<Darkness>
Fm: PHILIP HORNSEY

My favorite line of the whole damn show was,

"God sent me."

Of course, that line required 4 years of prep. We had to see the EA first as a
fine upstanding democratic goverment with one black mark, the slavery of Psi
Corps (nice parallel to pre Civil War America). Then we see the powers of
darkness, manifest in one slimy little man who thinks his own ego is more
important than 484 years of shining sanity, pull it all apart thread by
thread.

In the end there is not even a *fiction* that a free society exists. There is
no Senate to impeach the President, and he himself is in unconditional breach
of his oath of office. There can be no happy legal accomodation. No "real
President" can stand up and order the good guys to put things right, the
pathologically loyal military has to choke down the bitter pill of rebellion
and *kill* everyone who stands with the guy the population elected (at least
as VP) a couple of years before.

No question, the constitution is is tatters, it never contemplated an elected
official of Executive status attempting a coup (after near 5 centuries of that
being just *unthinkable*, who would?). Now the whole damn EA is in ruins, and
some uniformed robot, wrapped in the flag, without the guts to look around and
just say "sh!t, this is wrong", asks Ivonnova who she is.

Basically he says, "who the hell gave you the right to act against the supreme
temporal authority, on whose behalf do you bring a fleet against me", and she