JMS on CompuServe (Oct 26, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Sun Oct 26 13:24:51 EST 1997

   ftp://ftp.johndelenn.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/

    Sb: #3335-#Green Mars? <<Endgame>>
    Sb: #3344-ATTN: JMS Taken in Vain
    Sb: #3453-<501: Or is it 422?>

   impractical it would be to do this.  He suggests that what was shown
   was the best that could and should be done.) ]

 #: 3520 S4/Bab 5: **SPOILERS**
    25-Oct-97  22:57:05
Sb: #3335-#Green Mars? <<Endgame>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"If you had time to spare in the episode (ho ho), you might have suggested the
different ratio of inertial mass to weight by having character's feet skid out
from under them when stopping, bouncing off walls while turning corners,
overbalancing on turns, or catching things they had dropped two seconds after
dropping them.  Maybe tossing a CGI grenade."

      Except, of course, this would've looked awfully silly on camera.

      BTW, remember that Number One and Garibaldi, as well as Lyta, have
experience with living on Mars, so they would automatically compensate.

                                                                    jms

   characters in the show is a sign that JMS has done a good job.  Also,
   suggests that the Net efficiently enhances both intelligence and
   stupidity among people, so that may explain why so many morons tend
   to run off at the mouth on the Net.  It's a fact of life.  This poster
   suggests screening tools for Net access. ]

 #: 3521 S4/Bab 5: **SPOILERS**
    25-Oct-97  22:57:05
Sb: #3344-ATTN: JMS Taken in Vain
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      All good points...you may be right (on most of them).

                                                                    jms

 #: 3453 S4/Bab 5: **SPOILERS**
    25-Oct-97  11:13:04
Sb: #3452-<501: Or is it 422?>
Fm: DAVID DERUBEIS

>>How do you explain such a quantum leap in evolution in just a million years?
Nothing that extreme tends to happen in just a million years, if my
anthropology courses did me any good.<<

If you let evolution run it's course, this is true.  But with advances in
genetics, nanotechnology, and (in the B5 universe) psionics, among other
things, I'd say it's more or less inevitable.

My personal nit is that JMS has the sun going nova in only a million years.
This seems several orders of magnitude too soon for me.

Otherwise, I enjoyed this one.  A nice change of pace from the big plot
advancing show of late, and certainly something very different from what I
expect in series television.

Did you catch the dedication at the end?  Also, did notice that the episode
was described as "Sleeping in Light" when the satellite feed first came on,
before changing at the last second to the correct title?  We where scrambling
a bit there.  Fess up, Joe, where you having a bit of fun with us?

>> And I note with great amusement that they're sleeping in a FLAT bed this
time... :-)<<

I didn't notice any evidence of sleeping.

David

 #: 3550 S4/Bab 5: **SPOILERS**
    26-Oct-97  01:16:11
Sb: #3453-<501: Or is it 422?>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"My personal nit is that JMS has the sun going nova in only a million years.
This seems several orders of magnitude too soon for me."

      Actually, the computer voice specifies that it is continuing to note
atypical solar emissions...atypical meaning something unusual is going on.