Attn JMS: Deconstruction and Sinclair

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Fri Oct 31 06:18:19 EST 1997

From: buckley at refuge.Colorado.EDU (Charles Buckley)
Date: 29 Oct 1997 21:17:58 -0500

Minor Spoilers..

So, here goes

  I was just reading some of Sinclair's quotes from the first season.

Here is one from the episode Infection:

Sinclair: "No. We have to stay here, and there's a simple reason why.
     Ask ten different scientists about the environment, population control,
     genetics - and you'll get ten different answers. But there's one thing
     every scientist on the planet agrees on: whether it happens in a hundred
     years, or a thousand years, or a million years, eventually our sun will
     grow cold, and go out. When that happens, it won't just take us, it'll
     take Marilyn Monroe, and Lao-tsu, Einstein, Maruputo, Buddy Holly,
     Aristophanes - all of this. All of this was for nothing, unless we go to
     the stars."

  I find it interesting that the current episode falls along the times
that you set checkmarks. Was the framework for this episode originally
planned for the series?

Also, the headlines ofr Universe Today a few episodes later had a lot
of foreshadowing, for example:

SPECIAL SECTION: Pros & Cons of Interspecies Mating

was one of the headlines. With the exception of the Binary Star headline
and the Copyright flap mentioned, most of the current events listed
have either foreshadowed episodes, or been rendered moot by later events.
(ie, the president did not balance the budget by 2260 is my guess).
The trend there seems that the throw-off articles seem to actually
have been the important ones while the major events of the day are
as relevant to current events as the tennis results. The Narns no
longer seem to care about Raghesh 3 now. The President is worried about
maintaining the government, not balancing the budget.

  Were the headlines picked to foreshadow some events?

>Were the headlines picked to foreshadow some events?

In several cases, yes.