ATTN JMS: WWE,Walkabout,City of Sorrows: Ulkesh Naranek

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Mon Sep 15 06:43:59 EDT 1997

From: "Allen W. Bryan, Jr." <awb1 at Ra.MsState.Edu>
Date: 15 Sep 1997 03:08:55 -0400

Here we go with another of those plot clarification thingies....

SPOILERS FOLLOW for the following episodes, books, comics, Usenet posts,
Lurker's Guide, whatever you don't want spoiled:

Interludes and Examinations	(Episode 315)
War Without End, Part I 	(Episode 316)
Walkabout			(Episode 318)
Falling Toward Apotheosis	(Episode 404)
To Dream in the City of Sorrows	(Book 9)
and Lurker's Guide entries for all of the above.

20
19
18
17
16
15
14
13
12
11
10
9
8
7
6
5
4
3
2
Na (I wonder how you count in Minbari......)

Onward:
a) In I&E, our friend Kosh Naranek is killed.
b) In WWE1, another Vorlon is seen, speaking to Rathenn.
c) In Walkabout, a Vorlon hereby denoted as "Kosh II" (aka
Kosh2, 'new' Kosh, Kosh Vader, etc.) arrives on Babylon 5.
d) In City of Sorrows, we meet the Vorlon ambassador to Minbar,
one Ulkesh Naranek.
e) On the Net, you, JMS, have stated that Kosh II was, in fact,
Ulkesh Naranek.
f) It should be noted, therefore, that during the episodes
WWE 1&2, NO VORLON WAS PRESENT ON BABLYON 5. This was, also, the
only moment from Kosh's arrival to the deaths of both Kosh and Ulkesh
in "Falling Toward Apotheosis" that the Vorlons were absent, and B5 was
left without "proper parental supervision". Given the pivotal nature of
WWE, I find this interesting to the plotline.
g) However, it should be noted that a JMS post from the Lurker's
Guide concerning Walkabout that Ulkesh was supposed to have arrived
before WWE.
h) The question, therefore, is this: Was the Vorlon in WWE, in fact,
Ulkesh Naranek aka Kosh II? And does all of the points above tie in with
any real or imagined significance to the flow of the plotline at that
point?

Sometimes, in the tapestry of a story, patterns are made that not even
the weaver intended. I hope this is the case here.

--
Allen Bryan
awb1 at ra.msstate.edu
"I can only contemplate the infinite for a finite period of time."
     -Nicole Wakefield, _Rama Revealed_ by Arthur C. Clarke and Gentry
Lee

>Ulkesh Naranek aka Kosh II? And does all of the points above tie in with
>any real or imagined significance to the flow of the plotline at that
>point?

Yep.  Same Vorlon, as I've noted elsewhere.