ATTN: JMS-B5 at the University

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Thu Sep 25 06:16:23 EDT 1997

From: schroeder william r <wschroed at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Date: 24 Sep 1997 04:01:25 -0400

JMS,

Even though the series will not be completely finished, I've decided to
offer a philosophy Freshperson Seminar with all episodes of B5 as the main
"text", starting in Jan. 98.  The course will have both an interpretive
component (determining what the series as a whole implies about the many
questions it raises) and a philosophical component (determining what the
most plausible positions are on the same questions).

It would certainly be helpful if the library media center could have a set
of tapes that students could review on their own time.  I've written
Columbia House, and they say that they can only sell tapes to individuals
for their own private use.  Since this is all they have rights for, they
won't even quote a price to a library.  Above all, I want to remain legal.
I assume this means that I cannot take a copy of the series I have made to
the library either, even if it is for educational purposes.  Do you have
any suggestions on how to handle this, short of having every student tape
every episode as it comes off the TNT replays?  I know you are not a
copyright expert; so if you don't have the answer to this yourself,
perhaps you can direct me to someone at Babylonian or Warner Bros. with
whom I might discuss this.

Also, I wonder if you would have any suggested philosophical essays or
texts that you think might make interesting contrasts or supplements to
the positions of B5.  (I'm not asking about *sources* for B5 here, but
about texts you think might force people to think about the same issues
B5 is addressing but in different ways.)  (Anyone else have any suggestions?)

I'll post or mail you the syllabus, when I finally have it ready in January.
I know these questions are somewhat off the usual topics.  Thanks in
advance for taking time to consider them.

As always, thanks for creating a show that is worthy of the in depth
treatment I will try to give it.

Bill Schroeder
Philosophy
University of Illinois (Urbana)