ATTN JMS: Writing staff

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Sun Apr 26 06:16:45 EDT 1998

From: ldamberg at is.dal.ca (Lucas Alexander Dambergs)
Date: 24 Apr 1998 21:30:38 -0600

I'm curious about your plan to spread around the writing duties on
Crusade.  Many other shows employ a staff of writers: people who get to
know the characters and the situations, and help keep the show consistent.
However, you have stated that you plan to write about half of the episodes
yourself, and give the other half to freelancers.  Won't using freelancers
be difficult, as each writer will have to be taught about your universe?
And won't it mean more work for you, having to make sure each script is
true to the Crusade characters and universe?

I'm not trying to predict doom for your show, I'm sure you have
everything well in hand.  I'm just curious about how and why these kinds
of decisions are made.

--

Lucas Dambergs
ldamberg at is2.dal.ca
Halifax, Nova Scotia, CANADA
"Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain."
                 -Friedrich Schiller 1759-1805

>However, you have stated that you plan to write about half of the episodes
>yourself, and give the other half to freelancers.  Won't using freelancers
>be difficult, as each writer will have to be taught about your universe?

Yep, though having a series bible will help.

>And won't it mean more work for you, having to make sure each script is
>true to the Crusade characters and universe?

Yep again...having freelancers is actually more difficult even than doing them
myself, but frankly, the only way to find writers who you *can* eventually
bring on staff is to make freelance assignments and see who can hear the music
and who can't.