jms: More Than Words Can Say

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Tue Dec 1 06:11:03 EST 1998

From: fianna at netcom.com (Fianna)
Date: 28 Nov 1998 14:00:29 -0700

It's been six years since The Gathering first aired on television and
moments ago I wiped almost sixty minutes of tears from my eyes as
Sleeping in Light concluded.  I know you receive multitudes of letters
like this one from people thanking you for your contribution to
television, the genre of science fiction, the art of storytelling, and
their lives; I promised myself, however, that as I finished watching the
Final Five I would let you know just how much this magnum opus you have
created has affected one more fan.

You've created something that all writers dream of and few succeed in
completing: characters that are at once individuals and yet we can each
see part of ourselves in them all; a universe that seems real, that makes
us believe, that makes us cheer, that makes us hate, that makes us smile
and laugh and cry.  In my thirty years and all the thousands of books I
have read and stories I have watched, none has affected me like Babylon
5.  A place where you care for the characters, hope with them, ride out
their tense moments on the edge of your seat, and in the process perhaps
learn something about yourself.

I have never in my life been moved to tears by a story as much as I was
by the scene with G'Kar and Londo in The Fall of Centauri Prime; by the
entirety of Sleeping in Light.  I think I went through an entire box of
Kleenex.

I could probably go on forever about all the things I think about the
show and all the things I feel you have done, but the most important
thing to me out of all the rest is that you stood up for something you
believed in.  You persevered each season when the stations threatened to
cancel the series and followed through with your spectacular vision to
finish your five year arc.  To finish the story you wanted to tell.
You've probably sacrificed more than any of your fans will ever know for
your work, nothing this good comes without a price.

For this dedication and vision I thank you.  I don't believe that those
words are strong enough to express the emotions you've been able to evoke
over the years watching your characters change and grow as we all have
over the passage of time, but they are all I have.

Dave Welch