JMS on CompuServe (Feb 02, 1998) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Mon Feb 2 21:39:43 EST 1998

    Sb: #17454-Claudia
    Sb: #17543-Claudia
    Sb: #17516-Previews
    Sb: #17522-#Mira Furlan Signed Card?
    Sb: #17544-<502: Ummm... Wow.>
    Sb: #17528-question re comic
    Sb: #17739-Formulaic Television
    Sb: #17678-#The Story Line
    Sb: #17704-I prefer Star Trek f/x
    Sb: #17744-<TVLNoLM>
    Sb: #17832-<TVLNoLM>
    Sb: #17589-S5 Title
    Sb: #17870-#Minbari Warrior Women
    Sb: #17787-Cards/Comic Due Soon
    Sb: #17595-Mira Furlan Signed Card?

 #: 17514 S2/Bab 5: General
    30-Jan-98  15:54:07
Sb: #17454-Claudia
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"I, for one, would like to see the Ivanova character return.  I don't know if
it's possible, but I would still like to see it."

      a) Wasn't my decision, b) given that I'm writing 522 right now, I'd say
that the odds are zero, barring "Sleeping in Light," shot last year and held
over to this one.

                                                                    jms

 #: 17543 S2/Bab 5: General
    30-Jan-98  19:20:07
Sb: #17514-#Claudia
Fm: BRENT BARRETT

      "a) Wasn't my decision, b) given that I'm writing 522 right now, I'd say
that the odds are zero, barring "Sleeping in Light," shot last year and held
over to this one."

    I know I'm gonna regret asking this, and I know most people think I'm nuts
for asking, but... Are we gonna see/hear about little David before Sleeping in
Light?  Any chance?  Pretty please?  *beg* *grovel* *whimper*

    Oh, well.  It was worth a shot.  :-)

Thanks,

  -- Brent

 #: 17582 S2/Bab 5: General
    30-Jan-98  23:34:03
Sb: #17543-Claudia
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Sorta kinda.

                                                                    jms

 #: 17583 S2/Bab 5: General
    30-Jan-98  23:34:04
Sb: #17516-Previews
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I think the preview now is actually between acts 3 and 4.

                                                                    jms

   accidentally included in some Fleer shipments. ]

 #: 17584 S2/Bab 5: General
    30-Jan-98  23:34:04
Sb: #17522-#Mira Furlan Signed Card?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      The real cards have a white area at the bottom for signatures; none of
the other cards have that white area.  If it's anything other, it's a fake.

                                                                    jms

 #: 17544 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    30-Jan-98  19:20:07
Sb: #17390-#<502: Ummm... Wow.>
Fm: BRENT BARRETT

Joe,

    I know that you have too little time to answer every question asked in a
message to you, but there was one question in that last post that I think is
pretty important.  Maybe you didn't answer it on purpose -- I don't know. But
since I think it's pretty important, I'm gonna ask it again:

    Londo speaks of Sheridan's twenty years... How common is that knowledge?
Can you at least confirm whether or not Londo knows about it?  Or is there
something about his whole dream sequence that we don't know about?

Thanks,

  -- Brent

P.S. I really enjoyed seeing Mira play the Gypsy Delenn.  It was interesting
how you had one of your characters playing another character...  And it was so
symbolic of who and what Delenn is to Londo (mysterious, seer of the future,
cryptic, commanding).

 #: 17585 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    30-Jan-98  23:34:04
Sb: #17544-<502: Ummm... Wow.>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It's common knowledge within the inner circle of the Alliance advisory
board.

                                                                    jms

   fell so fast that the aliens couldn't get out of the way. ]

 #: 17586 S8/Bab 5 Merchandise
    30-Jan-98  23:34:04
Sb: #17528-question re comic
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It didn't fall, when Garibaldi shot out the fuel tanks in the back, it
blew it in their direction (as shown).

                                                                    jms

   as the one TV show that could equal print standards. ]

 #: 17842 S2/Bab 5: General
    01-Feb-98  17:42:11
Sb: #17739-Formulaic Television
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks...I hope history will bear out your reaction.  We try  and make
it a moving, personal show.

                                                                    jms

 #: 17843 S2/Bab 5: General
    01-Feb-98  17:42:11
Sb: #17678-#The Story Line
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"How do you keep things straight with so many
threads and characters over the course of the full arc?  Babylon 5 has a
Cannon, but how does a written document account for plot/character shifts
over the years?  Perhaps you have a vast story board of post-it slips and
yarn connecting push-pins to keep things straight?!?"

      This may sound kinda scary, but aside from my original notes, I keep it
all in my head.

                                                                    jms

   associated with B5 have a piece of Foundation Imaging?" ]

 #: 17844 S4/Seas. 1-4 SPOILERS
    01-Feb-98  17:42:12
Sb: #17704-I prefer Star Trek f/x
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, I might've been able to get a piece of Foundation, and I was offered
a piece of the new company set up to take over, but I declined, on the theory
that to make honest decisions, based on what's best for the show and nothing
else, I couldn't afford any other agendas...I had to approach this stuff with,
as Balzac said, "clean hands and composure."

                                                                    jms

 #: 17744 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    31-Jan-98  23:45:12
Sb: #17213-<TVLNoLM>
Fm: BILL HIRST

  >>       Thanks...I'm proud of that one.

Joe, if you keep up this quality, you'll have to reinforce your trophy shelf.
I've been following the progress of the show since the days when you were
pitching the pilot, and you continually amaze me by increasing your talents
from episode to the next. This episode let you use one of your best skills,
writing scenes with dialog and minimal props. (I think you once said something
along the lines of "Let me put two people in an elevator and I can make it
sing." )

It all starts with the writing. FX can enhance a good story, but can't make a
poor story good.

-Bill

 #: 17845 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    01-Feb-98  17:42:12
Sb: #17744-<TVLNoLM>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks.  I think a writer has to constantly challenge the last thing he
did if he's to be worth a damn to the audience.

                                                                    jms

 #: 17832 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    01-Feb-98  16:25:04
Sb: #17213-#<TVLNoLM>
Fm: SYSOP_DUPA_T_PARROT

Joe,

Regarding Sheridan's costume changes during Londo's Zocalo "dream"...

The first three uniforms were obvious. Are the remaining two a sign and/or
portent of things to come in season 5 (he asked foolishly)?

The Ranger outfit looked as if he'll become The One who will be.

The white robe looked like Minbari ceremonial garb or perhaps a burial shroud.

<searching the sky for Comet Straczynski>

 #: 17880 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    01-Feb-98  23:46:01
Sb: #17832-<TVLNoLM>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Could be....

                                                                    jms

   mostly original one on the 2nd CD, did you sort of have it picked
   out as the S5 title 'just in case?'" ]

 #: 17846 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    01-Feb-98  17:42:13
Sb: #17589-S5 Title
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yep.

                                                                    jms

 #: 17870 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    01-Feb-98  21:17:13
Sb: #Minbari Warrior Women
Fm: DAN T. DAVIS

It seems that the warrior caste of the Minbari is mostly male; or have I just
missed seeing the female members of the warrior caste?

(This thought came to me in thinking about Lennier's replacement....)

Dan

 #: 17881 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    01-Feb-98  23:48:05
Sb: #17870-#Minbari Warrior Women
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It's more male than female, but they're there.

      (I can see it now...Xenonn, Warrior Princess....)

                                                                    jms

 #: 17787 S8/Bab 5 Merchandise
    01-Feb-98  12:48:06
Sb: #17192-#Cards/Comic Due Soon
Fm: SHANE SHELLENBARGER

Joe,
     Will the cards be offered through www.thestation.com?
Shane

 #: 17847 S8/Bab 5 Merchandise
    01-Feb-98  17:42:13
Sb: #17787-Cards/Comic Due Soon
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Some boxes will come through there, yes.

                                                                    jms

   trading card, (perhaps this is what you mean), but I have seen an
   autographed CCG and its identical to the normal game card in every
   way, with Mira's signature written across the text at the bottom." ]

 #: 17848 S8/Bab 5 Merchandise
    01-Feb-98  17:42:14
Sb: #17595-Mira Furlan Signed Card?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Oh...the CCG cards...I thought you were referring to the Fleer cards.

      Then ignore what I said; I'm an idiot.