ATTN JMS: My Take on Season 5

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Mon Feb 23 06:18:29 EST 1998

From: "Charles J. Walther" <profengs at bellsouth.net>
Date: 22 Feb 1998 00:20:36 -0700

No Spoilers Here

I have just finished watching Learning Curve which is the fourth
episode(I hope) of Season 5. I have not commented on this season up to
now cause I wanted to get into before opening my mouth. In general,
Season 5 is OK. I have seen better on B5 and I have seen worse. Even as
being ok, it is still light years ahead of the stuff the TV producers
are trying to pass off as science fiction. What I like about the season
is that the heavy, almost punishing arc stories are behind us. The
Universe is safe at least until next Tuesday. What I dislike are some of
the characters I am seeing. I am sorry, but the new Captain is not a
favorite. This is not a "I miss Ivanova," troll, but a general comment.
She is a stereotype of other hard ass female characters I have seen on
TV shows. In order to prove they are better than the guys, they think
they have to be harder than the guys. The actress also seems to be
uncomfortable in the roll, or she is playing it like she is
uncomfortable. If you look at season one and two episodes, Ms. Christian
radiated an aura of power, but it is non-directed power. She can be
relaxed and at times very funny. In short she knows she is good, she
knows she can do the job and she know she can back it up when needed. No
one on that station wanted to try going one on one with her. Ms.
Scoggins shows directed power. She is never relaxed, her power is worn
on her uniform and she makes it vocal. In short, like a person who has
doubts that she knows what she is doing. Joe, if this is your idea for
the character, forgive me, but to be honest, she is not someone I would
follow into a fight.

I am glad you are not making the Sheridan-Delenn relationship the
cornerstone of every episode. That was getting real old in late season
three and most of season four. Actually, I like Sheridan better as a
President, than as a Captain. He fits into the role better, and I can
buy into him more as a politician than a naval officer. (And yes, I do
like the beard despite with Bruce thinks.) Delenn is also getting more
active in her other duties and not just being Sheridan main love
interest. Zack I have not seen enough of. Mr. Garibaldi is another
matter. He is becoming almost unbearably paranoid. Yes, I know it comes
with the new job, but he is really pushing it. You think after season
four he lighten up and go back to his old self...no way. It is too
serious and Mr. Doyle does not come off as being an overly serious
actor. Londo and G'Kar are still my favorites. The TLNOLM ep is still
may favorite of the young season. I like stories that deal with
redemption and forgiveness. Of course I also think you are setting up
the new G'Kar-Londo relationship so you can beat it over the head with a
2x4 later on in the season.

My main problem with the season so far is that I am still not sure what
the point of it is. In the first two seasons I had little idea where you
were going, but I was sure we were on our way somewhere. I also liked
the humor and characterizations better. In the third and fourth season,
the arc was the story, and you really hung the arc over the characters'
heads like the Sword of Damocies. The humor and characterization when by
the board, but the story did move. In season 5, I am seeing none of the
above. I hate to say this, but the season reminds me of the epilog of a
book. A long epilog. You know what happened, you know how we got there,
you know how it came out. Oh, by the way, here is what happened later
on.

I assume that TNT is awaiting the February sweeps ratings before
committing to another series. I am now going to piss everyone off and
say to Joe.....Drop the Crusaders idea and do something completely
different. Yea, after ten years of putting you heart and soul into
something, that should be real easy to do....NOT! I think you should
take pen and paper (or computer and printer) and do something else.
Start another world and bring us along in it. I am sorry, but I am
really not interested in having Babylon5 characters, new or old, cross
the galaxy to find the cures to planet Earth, when I already know what
is going to happen. I would like to see new people, new races and a new
story. I know you got the imagination for it. I know you have the talent
for it. If all else fails, jump into the shower again and ask for
another revelation. I am sure the Cosmic Buddha won't let you down.