JMS on CompuServe (Jan 26, 1998) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* (3/3)

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Mon Jan 26 15:25:38 EST 1998

 [ Continued from previous section -- BB ]

    Sb: #16437-#No Compromises
    Sb: #16513-Leadership
    Sb: #16707-#Formulaic Television
    Sb: #16706-Formulaic Television
    Sb: #16702-#Cards/Comic Due Soon
    Sb: #16708-<No Compromise>
    Sb: #16631-<NO COMPROMISES> Spoiler
    Sb: acheron

 #: 16437 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    24-Jan-98  10:45:10
Sb: No Compromises
Fm: KOSLOSKY

JMS,

I have a friend that I've now got watching  B5 b/c he can finally find it
regularly at a decent hour.  He called after NC aired and said it was a good,
solid ep.   He asked me to ask you  about telepaths.  In particular, he was
perplexed by the scene where Lochly first meets with them.  He couldn't
understand why they didn't "sense" the security guard's presence.  I explained
that they must have a line of sight to the subject to do their telepath thing.
He then asked what line of sight meant, i.e., Lyta needed a line of sight to
the Shadow ship but could not "see" the target subject within.   He asked - if
a telepath walked into a bathroom and someone was "hidden" behind a shower
curtain, could that telepath do anything to that person?  In short, he wants
to know what governs when a telepath can and can not scan or sense a presence.

Respecfully,

Bob

 #: 16541 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    25-Jan-98  00:29:10
Sb: #16437-#No Compromises
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Depends on the strength of the telepath.

                                                                    jms

 #: 16513 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    24-Jan-98  19:23:04
Sb: #Leadership
Fm: MICHAEL  ZITAGLIO

Hiya,

Saw the first season five ep again.  Sheridan mentioned that the leaders
should be among the people and be seen instead of being  put on a pedestal.

You must have worked at the Base where I work Joe.  Ive been saying that for
ten years!  Our so called " executives" are shut up in another building a mile
away from where the work is being done. You never see them, and If you do they
are totally unapproachable. Unless that is, if they want something from you.
In which case you work your ass off, bring in new business and deliver a
quality product, they take the credit, get their butt buddie promoted, and
totally ignore you afterwards.  When we were put on the Base Closure list, our
head of Enigeering didnt even have the balls to give us presentation
personally. He made a damn VIDEO TAPE and played it to everyone!  Hardly an
Enil ZAH!

Anyway, it struck a chord.  Nobody will accuse YOU of being out of touch.

Mike

 #: 16547 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    25-Jan-98  00:29:11
Sb: #16513-Leadership
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks...it's certainly an approach that would benefit the chain of
command in a lot of situations.

                                                                    jms

 #: 16707 S2/Bab 5: General
    25-Jan-98  20:47:10
Sb: #16536-Formulaic Television
Fm: PHILIP HORNSEY

>> I don't want to be the exec supervising somebody else's show; that would
turn me into a Suit, and that would be the end of me.

COP OUT!

There is *NOTHING* wrong with being a suit. There is simply a great deal wrong
with *most* suits, and *that's* what's wrong with SF TV.

Look, the neat thing about a team is that it can breed. You put the assistant
to the lighting guy in charge of lighting at the new production and let him
call for advice when he needs it. Then you go to some of these studios and
outsource their overly expensive SF productions.

"Hey Mr. Studio Exec! Why not let us produce that whopping big SF series you
just approved, we'll cut your budgeted costs 20%. You just have to give us
(meaning the the guy with the vision who pitched it and burped it and crawled
for it, but *he* doesn't need to know that) a teeny weeny bit of creative
control."

What does Mr. Suit have to lose? He sold the damn thing, now he's got
increased profits and he's going with a proven winner.

Hell, you never have to touch these other projects unless you want to. I'll
bet Copeland knows some people.

Would not the world have been different if Valen decided to become a shoemaker
because he thought politicians were ikky...

Phil^^^^
FREE MARS!

 #: 16716 S2/Bab 5: General
    25-Jan-98  23:09:08
Sb: #16707-#Formulaic Television
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Phil, honest and true, I'd rather have a root canal....

                                                                    jms

 #: 16706 S2/Bab 5: General
    25-Jan-98  20:47:08
Sb: #16536-Formulaic Television
Fm: PHILIP HORNSEY

>>      So the impact is already there, and will continue to grow over the
coming years.

Have you been watching Earth: Final Conflict? It recently made my don't miss
list. The storyline is really somewhat compelling.

It also gives you a chance to return Majel's little visit...

Ya wanna be a actor Joe?

Phil^^^^
free mars!

 #: 16715 S2/Bab 5: General
    25-Jan-98  23:09:07
Sb: #16706-Formulaic Television
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"Ya wanna be a actor Joe?"

      Not if you hung me by the short-and-curlies off the World Trade Center
on a windy day.

                                                                    jms

 #: 16702 S2/Bab 5: General
    25-Jan-98  19:44:13
Sb: #16681-Cards/Comic Due Soon
Fm: CARL CANTARELLA

>>And the first issue of the DC comic Valen miniseries just got into my hands;
should be hitting stores the coming week or so.<<

Joe,

Would you ever consider doing something like this with the Valen character
somewhere down the line for television, such as in "Crusade"?
	I've been wondering about this since shortly after I saw "In the
Beginning".

 #: 16717 S2/Bab 5: General
    25-Jan-98  23:09:08
Sb: #16702-#Cards/Comic Due Soon
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I think there may be some way to tell the story of Valen down the road
in one form or another.

                                                                    jms

 #: 16708 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    25-Jan-98  20:47:10
Sb: #16543-<No Compromise>
Fm: PHILIP HORNSEY

Speaking of Narns, what is G'Kar's position now? Has the Ka'Ri been
reestablished? Is he finally First Circle?

Phil^^^^
FREE MARS!

 #: 16718 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    25-Jan-98  23:09:08
Sb: #16708-<No Compromise>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      A lot of that will be established this season, but technically, he's
still the Ambassador from Narn.
                                                                    jms

 #: 16714 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    25-Jan-98  22:54:00
Sb: #16631-<NO COMPROMISES> Spoiler
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"Why couldn't the young telepath just broadcast his discovery to the others,
vs. having to deliver it himself?"

      Line of sight.

                                                                    jms

   comes. ]

 #: 16721 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    26-Jan-98  00:27:14
Sb: acheron
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Actually, the Acheron is the river of woe....