ATT:JMS: FWD OF "HELP WANTED"

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Sun Jun 7 06:15:35 EDT 1998

From: "Aubrey W. Adkins" <xazqrten at norfolk.infi.net>
Date: 6 Jun 1998 22:24:07 -0600

<quote>

        I hope that this makes it through to the group, and most
important, I hope
that someone whom Mr. Straczynski trusts will point this message out to
him. It's of some importance. I owe the cast and crew of Babylon 5 a
debt I
shall never be able to fully repay.

        My name is Edward Becerra, and I've enjoyed B5 for several
years. But
recently, I was no longer able to spend the time needed to watch it. You

see, in the last few months of 1996, my mother became ill. At first, it
was
thought to be a minor lung infection.

        In January of 1997, it was diagnosed as malignant cancer of the
pancreas.
It had already spread to her liver. She hadn't much time left. The
following August, she died.

        What does this have to do with Babylon 5?

        When Momma was diagnosed, she knew the odds, Less than 5% of all

pancreatic cancer patients survive, even when all measures are taken.
She
chose to accept her fate, and die at home with her family.

        One saturday afternoon, I was sitting with her, and a particular
episode
of B5 came on TNT. I moved to change the channel, as Momma didn't care
for
Science Fiction. She stopped me, however, and said that she _knew_ I
loved
the show, and had been missing it for her sake. Telling me to leave it
on,
she settled down to 'endure' it while I enjoyed it.

        To her surprise, she found something in the show to be
entertaining. Momma
was a collector of teddy bears, you see.. and by some quirk of fate, the

episode then airing was number 215, 'There All Honor Lies'.  Also known
occasionally as the teddy bear episode.

        Let me explain something. By this point, the pain my mother felt
had
increased to the point where even daily doses of morphine didn't help.
She
had been placed on dermal patches of pure heroin, and the pain still
forced
it's way through. She hadn't smiled in days.

        But when she saw the teddys in the show, and at the end, the
little fellow
floating out into the depths of space, she broke in  laughter. She
laughed
almost unceasingly.. joyously. For that entire day, all I had to do was
pick up one of her favorite bears and wave it through the air (as if it
were floating in space) to make her break up in helpless laughter.

        Can you imagine how precious a gift that was?

        I'd tried desperately to entertain her, to lift her spirits, to
make her
laugh. And no matter how hard I tried, I failed. But that show,  Mr.
Straczynski, gave her what I could not.

        She died only a few weeks after that.

        I want to thank you for that single, wonderful day of laughter
you gave
her, Mr. Straczynski. A day beyond price, a day beyond value. I want to
thank you, the cast and the crew. I want you to know the very special
thing
you did for her, and for me.

        I had the good fortune to meet both Stephen Furst and Michael
O'Hare when
they attended the StarCon conventions held in Denver, and was able to
tell
them this. But recently, I've suffered a stroke myself, and can't get
around  the way I used to. So my chances of ever seeing JMS in person
are
unlikely, at best.

        Thus this letter.

        That's about all I can say about this. It will be one full year
this
upcoming August since she died, and it still hurts. I apologize for
posting
this to the newsgroup, but living where I do, and physically restricted
the
way I am, it was the only way I could think of to reach the people I
want
to thank.

        Again, I'm sorry. And thank you.

        Ed Becerra
        eabecerr at henge.com
<unquote>

>Joe,
     This may not be proper, but I thought it should be forwarded in a
manner which would increase the possibility that you would see it.
Aubrey

From: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)
Date: 6 Jun 1998 23:46:36 -0600

Thank you for that; it was deeply moving, and I will make sure that this sees
the light of day on the wall of stage B, where some posts are put up for the
whole crew to see.

My very best to you.