Strange Relations, Sex, & JMS (Spoilers)

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Sun Mar 1 06:16:48 EST 1998

From: "C.M. Chan" <c.chan at worldnet.att.net>
Date: 28 Feb 1998 18:07:22 -0700

Just to start with, this is *not* meant to be a criticism of Season 5 or
of Tracy Scroggins. I'm actually enjoying S5--even if the arc hasn't
picked up yet, I still like watching the characters. And I even like
Lochley.

I *hated* the revelation that Lochley and Sheridan had been married.
Firstly, it seems incredible to me that Garibaldi, who has accessed both
their most secret files, wouldn't also have dug around for anything else
he could find about them in general. And don't military personnel files
have marriage statistics in them? It would have made far more sense if
they had simply lived together for awhile, contemplated getting married,
but realised the mistake they had made in becoming a couple in the first
place.

However, it has dawned on me that this is all of a piece. JMS is a
sexual conservative. Garibaldi isn't allowed to sleep with the
ground-pounder in GROPOS, Marcus is a virgin, saving himself for the
right one, Sheridan and Delenn don't actually have sex until after
they're married (unless they did in that Woo-Hoo Minbari ritual, but I
was never sure about that). There are other examples.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want there to be more sex in the show, nor
am I demanding that JMS share my own sexual standards. It just seems to
me that his feelings on the subject really screwed up the logic of this
particular thread.

CMC

>sexual conservative. Garibaldi isn't allowed to sleep with the
>ground-pounder in GROPOS, Marcus is a virgin, saving himself for the
>right one, Sheridan and Delenn don't actually have sex until after
>they're married (unless they did in that Woo-Hoo Minbari ritual, but I
>was never sure about that). There are other examples.

The Garibaldi/GROPO thing was originally slated in the script for them to go to
bed with each other...it was Jerry who objected loudly enough for that to be
changed in the script.

Then there's Franklin and Number One who jumped into bed very quickly, we have
Garibaldi and Lise in bed in "Between the Darkness and the Light," Franklin and
the singer in downbelow... there are plenty of counter-examples.

Conservative I ain't.