ATTN JMS: Wow!

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Fri Mar 27 06:45:20 EST 1998

From: Jeff Dougan <aster at UDel.Edu>
Date: 25 Mar 1998 21:25:21 -0700

Small, miscellaneous spoilers for seasons 3 and 5. Probably not really
anything worth protecting, but spoiler space provided just in case.

My compliments on "Tragedy of Telepaths." I am not normally a person to
cry, but I was very close by the time the tag was over. There are times I
have taken some things you have said over the newsgroup with a healthy
dose of scepticism (for example, I still believe that it is no coincidence
that Londo uses the sword his friend gave him to kill an insect. As nearly
as I can tell from any time I've seen them, Shadows also have 8 legs...
but that's a whole 'nother post entirely). On the other hand, I believe
that the new title for "Tragedy" is incredibly more appropriate.

We've seen it coming. Some of us have wanted parts of it to happen, but
some of us have wished with every fiber of our being that Kosh would be
proved wrong, that the fire could be averted, and that the anger of
several races could be muted and blunted, turned to a sound and fury
signifying nothing. Maybe I've got one of Sheridan's flaws -- I, too,
believe that I can make a difference, that one person can leave the world
a better place than he found it, and that so doing is almost never helped
by the use of force.

And now to know where some of the "Deconstruction" scenes fit... just like
in classic Greek tragedy at its highest, the audience can see it coming,
and knows what will happen. As much as we may wish for it to end
differently, I do not believe that it can.

I've typically held my piece over the years I have been exposed to your
wonderful work, much preferring to digest the opinions of others. But now,
with that work nearing its conclusion (I believe that tonight marks the
90% mark), I felt compelled to take a moment or three and express to you,
personally, my thanks and regrets. Thanks for your creating such an
incredible piece of art, regret that I did not get exposed to it sooner,
and regret that it must come to an end, even though we have known that
sooner or later, it must. Even in that end, there will be parts of the
story left untold, things we yearn to learn, empty space that begs to be
filled it.

I hate it when you do that.

(twinkblurbuzz) Good (whistletweedlerumble)

						JD

It is impossible to prepare for the unexpected, by definition of the word!
						Alfred Hitchcock

I _am_ the unexpected you can't prepare for.
						Jeff Dougan