JMS on CompuServe (May 20, 1998) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* (2/2)

bbarrett at johndelenn.com bbarrett at johndelenn.com
Thu May 21 03:58:45 EDT 1998

 [ Continued from previous section -- BB ]

    Sb: #33457-#Balancing Act
    Sb: jms TV Guide Online Chat
    Sb: #33573-#unauthorized books
    Sb: #33627-#unauthorized books
    Sb: #33646-#unauthorized books
    Sb: #33439-#New Show
    Sb: #33497-New Show

 #: 33457 S2/Bab 5: General
    18-May-98  19:14:10
Sb: #Balancing Act
Fm: REBECCA ESCHLIMAN

jms -

One thing that just occurred to me tonight is to ask you about determining the
size of a regular cast for a long-term series.  As more and more
SF/Fantasy-themed series seem to be adopting long-term storylines, either from
the outset, or as they evolve, there seems to be almost an imperative to
expand the effective regular cast (not necessarily by contract, but by
repeated appearances).  The X-Files, Millennium, Pretender, Buffy, Earth:
Final Conflict -- all seem to solidify their appeal with the addition of
regularly appearing cast members (otherwise, their storylines are limited to
standalone eps). One of the strengths of B5 from the outset seemed to be its
large regular cast, so that you could pull characters about like Silly Putty.
 And, as you're preparing Crusade, are you aware of an optimum cast size, or
is it that you see the story, and the story dictates the cast size?  In other
words, the main difference I've seen between B5 and other series attempting to
establish long-term storylines is that other series seem to require continuing
guest appearances -- so, how much was the larger cast size of B5 (and
presumably, Crusade) dictated simply by the story you wanted to tell or your
awareness as someone experienced in TV production of the best regular
cast-size to accomplish long-term storytelling?

-rje- Never look a gifted horse in the mouth.

 #: 33476 S2/Bab 5: General
    18-May-98  22:13:10
Sb: #33457-#Balancing Act
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      There's really no best regular size.  B5 generally had about 9-11
regulars and recurring (i.e., in the main credits) actors in any given season,
which was necessary because you had 4 different, competing forces, each of
whom required some representation (Earth/B5, Minbar, Narn, Centauri Prime).
With an ambassador plus aide, that's 8 minimum, plus at least one or two
others for station operations.

      In Crusade, we're really dealing with one force encountering others on a
per-episode basis (mostly), so we've got 6 regulars/recurs, with a subset of
reappearing characters (a la Morden, Bester or Corwin in B5).  That feels
about right to me.

                                                                    jms

 #: 33483 S2/Bab 5: General
    19-May-98  03:24:13
Sb: jms TV Guide Online Chat
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      FYI...John Copeland and I will be doing a live chat on the TV Guide
online site today (Tuesday) at 7:00 p.m. Pacific, 10:00 p.m. Eastern.

                                                                    jms

   unauthorized Babylon 5 trivia book. ]

 #: 33616 S2/Bab 5: General
    19-May-98  23:49:13
Sb: #33573-#unauthorized books
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I'm surprised...no, astounded, really, that you would ask me this.

      What you are saying is that you want me to help your friend to find a
way around the problem of publishing an unauthorized book that would not exist
were it not for Babylon 5, but for which your friend does not want to share
any of the money or profit for that book with the studio and entity that
created it.  Granted that my portion of any of this is barely enough to
register...nonetheless, he is going to be basing those trivia questions based
on characters, dialogue and situations that I created...but he does not see
any reason why I, as the person responsible for the material he is going to
print, should benefit from this book.

      If your friend wants to do a B5 trivia book, then I suggest he take the
very simple steps involved in doing so in an authorized, legal and responsible
fashion.

                                                                    jms

   writing a part of the B5 Universe history?" ]

 #: 33649 S2/Bab 5: General
    20-May-98  11:38:07
Sb: #33627-#unauthorized books
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      That's something we're discussing in-house.

                                                                    jms

   book] authorized." ]

 #: 33650 S2/Bab 5: General
    20-May-98  11:38:07
Sb: #33646-#unauthorized books
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I considered that, but the original message was exploring WB's "level of
comfort" with an unauthorized book, you don't inquire about a "level of
comfort" if you're just going to go ahead and do something authorized.

                                                                    jms

 #: 33439 S3/Bab 5:International
    18-May-98  16:11:07
Sb: #32666-#New Show
Fm: PHILIP HORNSEY

>>      It's not like I'm hard to find....

You don't hide under the bed anymore?

Phil^^^^
FREE MARS!

 #: 33477 S3/Bab 5:International
    18-May-98  22:13:10
Sb: #33439-#New Show
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"You don't hide under the bed anymore?"

      Not since the monsters moved in down there.

                                                                    jms

 #: 33497 S3/Bab 5:International
    19-May-98  07:43:11
Sb: #33477-#New Show
Fm: PHILIP HORNSEY

>>      Not since the monsters moved in down there.

Will we be seeing any of these monsters in the first season of Crusade?

Phil^^^^
FREE MARS!

 #: 33535 S3/Bab 5:International
    19-May-98  14:00:07