Attn JMS: Movie scripts

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Sat May 23 06:10:59 EDT 1998

From: Randall Crist <crist at creighton.edu>
Date: 20 May 1998 12:09:30 -0600

Dear JMS,

It seems to me that  it is impossible to maintain a uniformly high level
of writing, or anything for that matter, over a long period with the
deadlines. There have been a few episodes that, I think, would have
benefited from some tinkering (Grey 17 is Missing and the Mars comedy
scene in Between the Darkness and the Light are two that stuck me as
moments that weren't effective). Then there are the others-Whatever
Happened to Mr. Garibaldi is stunning every time I watch it, not to
mention 10 or so other episodes that are equally astonishing for their
lyrical quality. You have a remarkable batting average in this respect.

Thus my question:  if  a B5 theatrical movie was given the green light,
would you take more time to polish the script than for a typical pair of
episodes (what I am figuring is the equivalent in length)?  I have read
much of what you have written on the 'net about how you work with the
"white heat" of inspiration, so I was curious to see if you might take a
different approach with a different vehicle.

Thanks for one of the most remarkable achievements I have seen in any
medium.

Randy Crist