JMS on CompuServe (Oct 19, 1998) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at johndelenn.com bbarrett at johndelenn.com
Mon Oct 19 23:43:39 EDT 1998

    Sb: #48500-#Lyta Question
    Sb: #48636-acting systems
    Sb: re: jms email
    Sb: #48977-What Book to believe
    Sb: #48824-#Music
    Sb: #48778-#Prodution probs......???
    Sb: #49000-#Zathras Confused
    Sb: #49061-#Zathras Confused
    Sb: #49378-Who's going to V.O.R.
    Sb: #49639-#EW disses B5
    Sb: #49659-EW disses B5
    Sb: #49647-#Exec Producer powers?
    Sb: #49735-#Vertical Vertigo
    Sb: #49477-#S5book tells all
    Sb: #49539-S5book tells all

 #: 48588 S2/Bab 5: General
    01-Oct-98  23:58:05
Sb: #48500-#Lyta Question
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"I was under the impression teeps needed to be at least P10 before becoming
Psi Cops. Why did Lyta train as a Psi Cop if she was only a P5?"

      You are misremembering.  She said she interned with the Psi Cops, not
that she was training to be one.  Psi Cops need people beneath them at various
levels as assistants, collectors of evidence, and all the more ordinary stuff
they don't have time to do as the elite.

                                                                    jms

   who use it? ]

 #: 48693 S2/Bab 5: General
    02-Oct-98  16:55:02
Sb: #48636-acting systems
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I don't know enough about it to have an intelligent opinion....

                                                                    jms

 #: 49048 S2/Bab 5: General
    07-Oct-98  10:11:09
Sb: re: jms email
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Just a note to remind folks that my email address is to be used only for
stuff that can't or shouldn't be discussed publicly, for personal stuff. It's
starting to fill up with general questions about the themes of the show, plot
stuff and the like, questions which would serve better in the open forums
where the answers would profit other people, and save me from having to answer
the same question X-times privately.

                                                                    jms

 #: 49003 S7/Babylon 5 Novels
    06-Oct-98  22:56:00
Sb: #48977-What Book to believe
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Where there is a contradiction, defer to City.

                                                                    jms

 #: 48838 S9/Crusade:PreProductn
    04-Oct-98  20:31:03
Sb: #48824-#Music
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, nothing commercially available.

                                                                    jms

 #: 48778 S9/Crusade:PreProductn
    03-Oct-98  21:29:10
Sb: #48752-#Prodution probs......???
Fm: REBECCA ESCHLIMAN

Wes,

<< True words of wisdom, IMHO. >>

IMHO joins IYHO.  I may be totally off-base, but it seems that *any*
show that gains a passionate audience with an avenue of online
discussion is suffering *more* this year from rumor-agonizing during
the long drought of nothing but reruns (add Buffy, X-Files,
Millennium, Highlander, to name a few, to Crusade).  Whether it be in
CIS fora or on the wider Net, it seems that more people are spreading
more rumors more widely with more reaction.  I wonder if this will ever
reach some sort of critical mass, and, if so, what the result will be?

-rje-

Never look a gifted horse in the mouth.

 #: 48786 S9/Crusade:PreProductn
    04-Oct-98  02:09:04
Sb: #48778-#Prodution probs......???
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"Whether it be in CIS fora or on the wider Net, it seems that more people are
spreading more rumors more widely with more reaction.  I wonder if this will
ever reach some sort of critical mass, and, if so, what the result will be?"

      A slight but measurable increase in the greenhouse effect....

                                                                    jms

   his 6 brothers." ]

 #: 49004 S9/Crusade:PreProductn
    06-Oct-98  22:57:02
Sb: #49000-#Zathras Confused
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      You can never count out the Zathri....

                                                                    jms

   write?  He can say so many things other characters can't." ]

 #: 49216 S9/Crusade:PreProductn
    08-Oct-98  12:20:06
Sb: #49061-#Zathras Confused
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      He also never *stops* saying things....

                                                                    jms

   convention in the Los Angeles area. ]

 #: 49399 S2/Bab 5: General
    11-Oct-98  00:17:14
Sb: #49378-Who's going to V.O.R.
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Be advised that Tracy Scoggins will not be there, and that others may
not be there, and that this is not an official, sanctioned convention (many
have emailed me to say that they thought it was sanctioned).  The companies
listed as "sponsors" -- Precedence Publishing and Sierra FX -- are making it
clear, and making VorCon make sure it's clear, that they may be sponsoring
events at the convention but they do not endorse the convention itself; also,
Optic Nerve will not be bringing down an exhibit of any sort.  In addition, by
now they either have received or are about to receive official warning from
Warner Bros. regarding the showing of *any* video material from the show.

                                                                    jms

   it in 97th place out of 100." ]

 #: 49649 S2/Bab 5: General
    12-Oct-98  22:58:13
Sb: #49639-#EW disses B5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      On the other hand, the actual description they used for the show was
nothing other than glowing...beats the heck out of me....

                                                                    jms

 #: 49659 S2/Bab 5: General
    13-Oct-98  05:42:08
Sb: #49649-#EW disses B5
Fm: CASSY S. BEACH

JMS,

>> On the other hand, the actual description they used for the show was
nothing other than glowing...beats the heck out of me.... <<

Perhaps they count backwards?...

Cassy <g>

 #: 49723 S2/Bab 5: General
    13-Oct-98  13:09:05
Sb: #49659-EW disses B5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Or maybe they were working in base 50....

                                                                    jms

 #: 49778 S2/Bab 5: General
    13-Oct-98  23:43:01
Sb: #49647-#Exec Producer powers?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It variers; in some cases, an exec producer is just the money person; in
other cases, it can even be a studio person assigned to a project; there can
be numerous exec producers with various responsibilities.  Some sell the show,
move on, and just collect fees.

      That's why the term exec producer has become almost meaningless in terms
of knowing what the person actually *does*, and why it's been replaced in many
ways with the term "show runner."  That's the person who actually runs the
show, determines the creative direction for the series, writes and oversees
scripts, that sort of thing.

                                                                    jms

 #: 49735 S2/Bab 5: General
    13-Oct-98  16:59:06
Sb: #Vertical Vertigo
Fm: REBECCA ESCHLIMAN

JMS --

Just finished reading an article in the latest Newsweek, "TV Turns Vertical,"
concerning possible changes in the TV industry from the trend towards vertical
integration.

As someone who's had dealings with agencies of one of the four
vertical-integration giants cited (Time-Warner), would you align yourself with
the "many creative types" who "decry vertical integration, seeing it also as a
major reason for the decline in the quality of TV shows?"

Since you've previously mentioned that you have other projects in development,
is the possibility of getting any of them to market made more difficult by
vertical integration?

-rje- Never look a gifted horse in the mouth.

 #: 49779 S2/Bab 5: General
    13-Oct-98  23:54:10
Sb: #49735-#Vertical Vertigo
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

         ....joe does not understand vertical integration...joe wonders if
that means that all standing people all have the right to use the same
washroom and the same fountain and stand in the front of the bus...joe not
business type...barely understands these things...joe will read article, fall
down, try to reply at a later date....

                                                                    jms

                                                   (brother to zathras)

 #: 49477 S3/Bab 5:International
    11-Oct-98  15:25:01
Sb: #S5book tells all
Fm: DR JOHN A PURVIS

Definitely no spoilers HERE

BUT

Are you aware the S5 guide published by Jane Killock is now published in the
UK and contains summaries of the last 4 episodes

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Regards

JP

 #: 49530 S3/Bab 5:International
    11-Oct-98  22:46:08
Sb: #49477-#S5book tells all
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yeah, it was published ahead of schedule, and we're all kinda pissed
about it.

                                                                    jms

   publishers as Warner do over Channel 4 in the UK." ]

 #: 49609 S3/Bab 5:International
    12-Oct-98  15:39:07
Sb: #49539-S5book tells all
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      WB does have that control over publishing as well...the thing was
published by accident, there was a drop in communication and it happened when
everyone was looking elsewhere.