ATTN JMS: Top Cow?!

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Tue Oct 27 06:10:58 EST 1998

From: "Jacob Corbin" <jacobkosh at hotmail.com>
Date: 26 Oct 1998 22:35:44 -0700

     As a lifelong comix geek, I'm tickled eighty shades of mauve to
hear that JMS has got a 4-color bun in the oven.  Seeing as he seems to
have an instinctive understanding of the methods unique to comix writing
(balloon separation, word emphasis, and--most importantly of
all--pacing, pacing, pacing), I've got every confidence that the writing
will be of superior quality.

     Buuuut....(there's always a "but", isn't there?)...I have to wonder
why JMS picked Top Cow, of all places.

     Top Cow isn't exactly known for their great artwork (all the
house-artists seem to deliberately swipe off of company owner Marc
Silvestri, who himself swiped off his fellow X-Men alumnus Jim Lee, who
in turn attached himself, remora-like, to "Green Lantern/Green Arrow"
artist Neal Adams) or their original ideas (such as "X-Me.." ooops, I
meant "Cyberforce"; or Random Superendowed Anatomically-Impossible Women
#s 424785- and 6, namely "Witchblade" and "Darkchylde").

     (--Hmmm...perhaps JMS networked with these guys through the TNT
production of "Witchblade"?)

     Anyway, despite their claims of artistic freedom (Silvestri left
Marvel's X-Men books to cofound Image with several other disgruntled
Marvel artists, and in turn left Image two years ago to start Top Cow)
Top Cow is ripe for the kind of meddling that TNT tried to pull
recently--or, worse, JMS could end up with a penciller who takes it upon
himself to lavishly render each of the 3,206 shells coming from the
hero's gun while simultaneously ignoring the basics of human anatomy.

     It's not like TC is the only game in town.  Certainly Marvel is
busy flushing itself down the crapper after its prolonged brush with
Chapter 11, and I can easily imagine JMS trying to avoid DC after what
they did to the original run of "B5" comics (though its "Vertigo"
imprint is perfect for this kind of material, and JMS already has a
contact there in the form of Neil Gaiman), but that still leaves such
concerns as Dark Horse and Oni Press, both of whom have a reputation for
treating creators' material with the utmost respect.

     However, it's entirely possible that JMS has a top-notch team on
board for this project (Alex Ross?  Alex Ross?  Alex Ross? --At least
for a cover or two?) and if this turned out to be the case I'd go so far
as to hijack the weekly Diamond truck just to be the first in my town to
own a copy.

     Jacob

|  _______  ________     The Reverend Jacob Corbin           <*>   |
|  |  __  \ |      |  High Priest of the First Church              |
|  |  | | | |  \----         of Samuel L. Jackson                  |
|  |  /-- / |  ----\   (See the Church of SLJ page at              |
|  |  __  \ |_____  \ http://members.aol.com/~cerebusatb/          |
|  "One man's mundane and desperate existence is another man's     |
|                         Technicolor."                            |
|                     Lenny Nero, "Strange Days"                   |