jms = big rock

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Wed Apr 28 04:31:42 EDT 1999

From: Dan Dassow <ddasow at mail.win.org>
Date: 27 Apr 1999 16:37:56 -0600

In article <3724fcbd.3528744 at news.americanisp.com>,
  strueb at americanisp.com (Wes Struebing) wrote:
> On 26 Apr 1999 16:33:59 -0600, in_valens_name at hotmail.com wrote:
>
> >In article <7g1ma6$1sd at forge.cc.gatech.edu>,
> >  foxtrot at cc.gatech.edu (J.D. Forinash) wrote:
> >that
> >the

> >> Well, that or a star rock...
> >
> >Or just stoned...
> >
> >So, would this consist of a promotion from being a warship in Jack
> >McDevitt's _A Talent For War_?
> >
> >Seriously, this strikes me as an even more important kudo than the Bradbury
> >award.  That asteriod will probably outlast even current fame.  It's a near
> >immortal monument to B5 and its creator.
> >
> >Just hope it doesn't break orbit and come visit. Boom, there's always a boom!
> >
> If that happens, we'll have to come up with a new verb.  We'll have been
> straczynski'ed.
>
> Even one of Sheridan's nukes couldn't stop him!

Wes, it looks like I'll have to update straczynksi'ed to include a secondary
definition: straczynskied - (1) vt past tense - To be inspired towards
simultaneous and profound curiosity, anticipation, awe, dread, and somber
reflection through the skillful use of misdirection, foreshadowing, mental
torture, and other literary devices leading to disturbed sleep, frightening
nightmares, hallucinations, compulsive behavior, and general obsession. (2)
vt past tense - To be obliterated by a large asteroid with the name 8379
STRACZYNSKI that doesn't go boom today, but boom tomorrow, since there's
always a boom.

Dan Dassow ps I gave Andreas Katsulas a button with the phrase "I’ve Been
Straczynskied" with the first definition when he was in St. Louis last April.
I wonder whether he gave the other two existing buttons to Peter Jurasik and
Mira Furlan like I requested.

>Wes, it looks like I'll have to update straczynksi'ed to include a secondary
>definition: straczynskied - (1) vt past tense - To be inspired towards
>simultaneous and profound curiosity, anticipation, awe, dread, and somber
>reflection through the skillful use of misdirection, foreshadowing, mental
>torture, and other literary devices leading to disturbed sleep, frightening
>nightmares, hallucinations, compulsive behavior, and general obsession. (2)
>vt past tense - To be obliterated by a large asteroid with the name 8379
>STRACZYNSKI that doesn't go boom

Oddly, I heard a while back from some Russian speaking folks, and depending on
how you pronounce it and where you put the inflection, Straczynski can mean
either "terror" or "passion."  I kind of like the symmetry of both....