This rests on your shoulders.

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Wed Dec 1 04:31:48 EST 1999

From: "Ryan Nock" <Tai_sa at hotmail.com>
Date: 29 Nov 1999 18:51:04 -0700

What do *you* think souls are?  I would never 'define' souls, but since you
didn't say you outright did not believe in souls, your belief must go at
least to a certain point.  Of course, religion and faith is always a testy
issue, but I don't get offended easily.

I haven't though deeply about what a soul is or isn't, but at its basis, a
soul is a person's mind.  I think a soul cannot be separate from what the
body has gone through.  Souls might all be similar when they first . . .
are . . . 'created' I suppose, but they change as they are lived.  So, when
a person dies, his soul, as it goes to heaven or hell, is akin to that
person, and that person survives--all his memories, likes, foibles, and
quirks.
But a soul is not just the body, though it is linked to it.  I think a soul
leaves the body if the brain dies; the soul resides in the brain. (As far as
psuedoscience goes, I'm not going to try to explain myself.  I agree with
science all the way, and then fill in the holes with what I believe)  But if
you put someone's brain in a different body, the soul would remain the same,
and would just adapt to the new body.

I'm surprised I'm typing this at a B5 newsgroup, but at least this hasn't
gotten to the 'bar room brawl' stage yet.