jms Tells the Chris Carter/CBS story at Loscon

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Sun Dec 5 04:40:05 EST 1999

From: in_valens_name at hotmail.com
Date: 4 Dec 1999 05:03:40 -0700

In article <19991202003234.24640.00000111 at ng-fo1.aol.com>,
  jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5) wrote:
> Just to jump in a bit...
>
> The irony of course is that if Harsh Realm had been canceled even a
week later,
> we would've concluded the deal with CBS for the show I'd created and
which
> Chris, Frank Spotnitz and I would exec produce.  CBS had agreed to a
pilot
> production deal, and they were haggling over the per episode license
fee should
> the show get picked up for series when HR got canceled and the ripple
effect
> started.
>
> The other thing I wanted to mention is that in my years in the biz, I
have
> rarely enjoyed a partnership with anyone as much as with Chris and
Frank, who
> are not only stand-up guys, but in all of our discussions I don't
think a
> single idea got broached that didn't make sense.
>
> Their approach is the same we had at B5: you check your ego at the
door and do
> what's best for the story.  I have nothing but good things to say
about them,
> and even though Fox felt that they needed to go forth only with 100%
CC after
> HR was canceled (the logic being that it didn't work because Chris
didn't
> actually create it), I consider the experience a positive one.
>
> They're good people over there at 1013.
>
>  jms

Damn!  This sucks.  After the TNT fiasco, you finally find good people
to work with ...  Talk about Murphy's Law in action.

How will this effect your writing workload?  More novels and/or short
prose stories?  Maybe another comic series?

scott tilson.

Recommended reading for B5, SF, and/or comics fans: HIEROGLYPH #1 by
Robert Delgado, from Dark Horse.  A beautifully envisioned cinematic
exploration of an alien world that's not so lifeless as our human
surveyor first thinks!  Line art preview at
http://www.darkhorse.com/prev.html?cart=9333627478661357&sku=98172&x=0

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.