ATTN JMS: Star Trek style shuttle/fighter bays and TNT interference?

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Tue Feb 2 04:33:56 EST 1999

From: Brian Watson <kerr at cris.com>
Date: 1 Feb 1999 20:42:06 -0700

I read recently a few reviews on the AICN page about some of the
episodes that were produced and in a rough cut format.  One part of it
that caught my attention is a reference to the shuttle and fighter bays
being pressurized, but having them open to space, the atmosphere being
kept in by a 'magnetic' shield or some technowizzit.  I was wondering if
this is true, because it's the kind of thing that smacks of of the Star
Trek method of thinking of just inventing technology because it looks
cool, rather than being based on any science.  I've always liked the
Earthforce fighter bays and the station requiring pressure doors closing
to contain an atmosphere, and I believe we saw the same thing with a
Nial fighter landing on a Whitestar.  It just doesn't make sense from a
safety standpoint to use such a field to begin with, since if power is
lost to it for even a few seconds you could have a catastrophic loss of
life or damage to the bays.  Was it things like this that TNT wanted to
change about the show, but you didn't want for the scientific
standpoint, that forced you to look for a new home for Crusade?  I
sincerely hope to see the tried and true pressure doors on the
Excalibur, rather than these hokey little neon tubes surrounding the
door to prevent air from rushing out.

(And how could this even be remotely science based?  How can a magnetic
field affect a non charged molecule such as O2?)

>that caught my attention is a reference to the shuttle and fighter bays
>being pressurized, but having them open to space, the atmosphere being
>kept in by a 'magnetic' shield or some technowizzit.

No, there is a definite (and very large) airlock door that closes after ships
enter the flight deck, so it can then be pressurized.