JMS on CompuServe (Feb 26, 1999) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at johndelenn.com bbarrett at johndelenn.com
Fri Feb 26 23:29:01 EST 1999

 that all of his messages may be reproduced freely
 so long as they are not used for profit.

    Sb: #Crusade Gone For Now
    Sb: #60530-#Next book
    Sb: #60148-#Babylon foreshadowing
    Sb: #60615-#Babylon foreshadowing
    Sb: #60693-Babylon foreshadowing
    Sb: #60149-#Faith Manages
    Sb: #60235-Faith Manages
    Sb: #61320-AICN says no Crusade =(
    Sb: #61332-Why the change of heart?

 #: 61336 S2/Bab 5: General
    26-Feb-99  13:12:04
Sb: #Crusade Gone For Now
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Well, we took our best shot.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't.

      The SciFi Channel programming guys wanted the show; they wanted it a
lot.  They crunched numbers for almost two weeks trying to make it work.  But
at the end of the day, the problem was that they had already allocated or
spent their budget for the year, and couldn't come up with the huge chunk of
change necessary to get an entire season.  Had this come up prior to January
1st, things would almost certainly have gone differently.  But they have their
budget, as we have ours, and it was already allocated.

      So TNT will now air the full 13 produced, and that's the end of it for
now.  I say for now because WB has told us to fold and hold all the sets,
rather than scrap them, because they believe strongly in the show, and feel
that when the ratings come in we may well be able to pick up a second season.
We'll see.

      Meanwhile, I'm taking the day off, and deciding which of a number of
offers from networks and studios, sitting on my desk since B5 finished, to
pick up.  I had declined to go that route so I could do Crusade and keep
playing in this universe, but absent that, there's no reason not to go back to
the networks and apply there some of what we've been able to do in B5 and
Crusade.

      My thanks to all those who wrote, and called, and emailed, and lent
their support to the process.  And I think that when you see the show, you'll
be quite pleased by what we did.  We're all very proud of it.

                                                                    jms

 #: 60648 S7/Babylon 5 Novels
    18-Feb-99  22:44:13
Sb: #60530-#Next book
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Should be out in a couple of weeks.

                                                                    jms

   magazine that was quoting JMS on the topic of Crusade. ]

 #: 60218 S9/Crusade
    13-Feb-99  22:58:01
Sb: #60148-#Babylon foreshadowing
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      The awful thing is that the line is a "HUNTING dog and a Ouija board,"
not a "honey dog."  I don't even know what that is....

                                                                    jms

 #: 60644 S9/Crusade
    18-Feb-99  20:36:00
Sb: #60615-#Babylon foreshadowing
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      The job of being a writer means constantly proving your talent to those
who have none.  I'm used to it.

"On top of that, did you notice in the last Voyager "movie" the Borg planning
to assimilate Earth by introducing a nano-based plague that would take a few
years to do the job...gaaaaagghh"

      Say what...?

                                                                    jms

 #: 60700 S9/Crusade
    19-Feb-99  15:04:08
Sb: #60693-Babylon foreshadowing
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Terrif.

                                                                    jms

 #: 60219 S9/Crusade
    13-Feb-99  22:58:01
Sb: #60149-#Faith Manages
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"I just watched Deconstruction of Falling Stars for the 6th time and I have to
tell you a lot of people are predecting gloom and doom for Crusade but I
belive that it will be shown and I belive that It will be as good as Babylon
5"

      Same crap happened when we did B5..."it's just a DS9 ripoff"..."it's
going to be another stupid SF show with dopey people and lousy writing and
EFX..."

      Been there, done that, got the series....

                                                                    jms

 #: 60235 S9/Crusade
    14-Feb-99  08:48:05
Sb: #60219-#Faith Manages
Fm: ED BRANDT

We just saw SiL last week and I just wanted to say Thank you so much. B5 is
practically the only show that I watch on a regular basis and by far the only
one that is worth being obsessed about.

All of the faithful in Israel are pulling for you. We are all eagerly awaiting
the next chapter...

Ed Brandt
Raanana, Israel

The universe holds many wonders: Be terrified and
relieved that we have not explained everything yet.

Don't shoot people: The paperwork is a pain in the butt.

 #: 60301 S9/Crusade
    14-Feb-99  21:52:12
Sb: #60235-Faith Manages
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks, I appreciate it.

                                                                    jms

 #: 61320 S9/Crusade
    26-Feb-99  09:19:08
Sb: #AICN says no Crusade =(
Fm: RAE AUGENSTEIN

Well, it looks like Crusade has gotten the can.

Aint It Cool News has posted an article at
http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=3129 citing several reliable
but unnamed sources that have told them Crusade is dead.

One souce has told them, "the cast of Crusade had been 'released from their
contracts'." Another said, "Sci Fi Channel, Warner Bros., and Babylonian
Productions were unable to come to an economic agreement which would allow the
series to move from one network to another."

I keep a close eye on AICN all the time, and their info is reliable. I know
this isn't an official confirmation from Joe or anyone else at Babylonian
Productions that she show won't be produced any longer, but it doesn't look
good.

I really really hope that if this is the case, we'll somehow at least be able
to see the Crusade episodes that have been produced thus far.

*sigh*

-- Rae ^^^^

 #: 61363 S9/Crusade
    26-Feb-99  16:09:10
Sb: #61320-AICN says no Crusade =(
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      All 13 eps produced so far will be shown; we'll be doing post production
(CGI, music other stuff) through April 22nd.

                                                                    jms

 #: 61332 S9/Crusade
    26-Feb-99  12:02:13
Sb: #Why the change of heart?
Fm: JANETCH

Joe,

Through all of the TNT mess one question has continued to plague me. TNT was
ecstatic to get B5. They "danced in the aisles" as you said, after the first
ratings came in. Many of the TNT folks were rabid fans. Now they have a chance
to get their very own, brand new show, that follows the same universe and is
written by the same guy (with a little help here and there) but they don't
want it anymore.

What happened? Why the sudden change of heart? You said in a previous post
that they decided that science fiction didn't fit in with their overall
"theme". What made them change their mind. It just doesn't seem to make any
sense to me.

Please don't stop fighting -- you've beaten bigger a**holes than these guys
and I know that you will win again (and so will we, in our getting to see
Crusade).

Cheers,
Janet

 #: 61356 S9/Crusade
    26-Feb-99  16:04:05
Sb: #61332-Why the change of heart?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      One element to the whole discussion is that B5 was already an entity in
its own right, and taking on the fifth year entailed basically buying what was
already there, as opposed to becoming involved with the creative process of
influencing a new series.