ATTN: JMS - Christopher Franke

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Mon Aug 28 04:35:58 EDT 2000

From: "Matt Ion" <soundy at soundy.org>
Date: 27 Aug 2000 01:38:16 -0700

Let's try this one more time...

-------------------------------
I haven't seen anything about this in any FAQs I've come across, probably
because it isn't the type of question most shows frequently get asked.

I'm curious as to how the relationship with Christopher Franke came about?
Was there an audition of some sort for soundtrack ideas?  Is Franke a sci-fi
fan who approached jms?  Or is jms maybe an old Tangerine Dream fan?  It
doesn't strike me as the kind of thing you'd get with, say, a John Williams,
who's already well-known for these types of soundtracks.

I've finally found almost all the title and credit sequences in MP3 format
(except the final credits from "Sleeping in Light"), as well as many of the
episodic tracks ("Messages from Earth" just kicks ass), and as soon as the
budget allows I'm planning to purchase the full CDs (those signature discs
would be sweet, but the price... oi!).  I've also found a lot of Franke's
other work online, from _Pacific Coast Highway_ to _The Celestine Prophecy: A
Musical Voyage_.

What impresses me is the range of images and emotions his music can invoke.
Since listening to the episodic tracks, I've noticed much more clearly how
well they work *in* the show (Space just aired "Chrysalis" yesterday; the
music behind the destruction of Earthforce One works SO well).  Having all
the main title tracks to play in a row, it really shows how the style and
feel progress through the series as well, and how well each fits the "mood"
of its corresponding season.

And yet, the B5 stuff is very different from most of Franke's other work;
each project does a wonderful job of "matching" its "subject matter".

Anyway, that's enough rambling from me...

Your friend and mine,
Matt
"Reality is in alpha test on prototype hardware."

>I'm curious as to how the relationship with Christopher Franke came about?
>Was there an audition of some sort for soundtrack ideas?  Is Franke a sci-fi
>fan who approached jms?  Or is jms maybe an old Tangerine Dream fan?  It
>doesn't strike me as the kind of thing you'd get with, say, a John Williams,
>who's already well-known for these types of soundtracks.

We got in a demo of his work, which I was familiar with from Tangerine Dream,
so I was already disposed toward him.  We met, hit it off, and that was that.

(all message content (c) 2000 by
synthetic worlds, ltd., permission
to reprint specifically denied to
SFX Magazine)