More comments, and a question

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Sun Jan 16 05:05:55 EST 2000

From: "Ryan Nock" <Tai_sa at hotmail.com>
Date: 16 Jan 2000 00:14:53 -0700

I'm trying to work my friend into liking B5.  She disliked the pilot, but
she loves comics; I thought Rising Stars would get her to like comics.

She loves Rising Stars but she is also a devout Christian (so am I, but she
doesn't think I'm quite devout enough to trust my opinion on religious
matters).  When she saw . . . hm, issue is too far away for me to go and
get, but, when she saw flying, angel, son of the King of Denial, man, she
began to get turned off of Rising Stars.

She seems a bit offended that an atheist author has the presumption to show
Christianity in a negative light.
I think there are probably some spoilers after here.  What, 25 lines?
Anyway, the point to this rambling post is that Babylon 5 always treated
religion with respect, or at least honestly.  All my friend wants is an
honest, balanced representation of her religion, and not one where the only
person who seems to have any faith in Rising Stars is a zealot.  I just want
to know whether I should just keep away from her the issue that focuses on
the preacher, or if the only angle on religion in the series will be this
(apparently negative) one.

I've tried to explain how I see the powers of the specials, as an outgrowth
of their existing personality.  A brave kid gets strong, a lonely kid
shields himself from the world entirely.  The son of someone perhaps too
zealous in his religion becomes what will please his parents.

Comments on this interpretation, or answers whether I will have to withhold
one issue from my friend, would be welcome.