Official Babylon 5 Magazine canceled?

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Tue Mar 7 04:25:31 EST 2000

From: "Susan Phillips" <vampry at mindspring.com>
Date: 6 Mar 2000 07:45:30 -0700

On 4 Mar 2000 17:59:25 -0700, Tammy Smith wrote:

>If this is true, I'm going to be angrier at TNT than I all ready am!
>It's amazing that a series--B5--could have such a great following, and
>yet, because of one network's meddling, the whole thing has just about
>collapsed!  I've just about had it with TV entirely!  If this is how
>viewers are treated, forget it!

It is true and it's NOT TNT's fault.

Sales are down since the show ended.  B5, not Crusade.  This is not TNT's
fault.

B5 is over.  TNT gave it a fifth season and thus got to the end of the story
JMS wanted to tell.  That was a good thing.

I find it weird (can't think of another word) that people who were so excited
that TNT gave B5 another chance are suddenly so upset at them that they blame
them for EVERYTHING that goes wrong.

(No, Tammy, I'm not necessarily speaking about you in particular - this is a
generalized rant.)

Sue

"How can you be anal-retentive if you don't have an anus?"
	Bartleby, "Dogma"

>>If this is true, I'm going to be angrier at TNT than I all ready am!
>>It's amazing that a series--B5--could have such a great following, and
>>yet, because of one network's meddling, the whole thing has just about
>>collapsed!  I've just about had it with TV entirely!  If this is how
>>viewers are treated, forget it!
>
>It is true and it's NOT TNT's fault.
>
>Sales are down since the show ended.  B5, not Crusade.  This is not TNT's
>fault.
>
>B5 is over.  TNT gave it a fifth season and thus got to the end of the story
>JMS wanted to tell.  That was a good thing.
>
>I find it weird (can't think of another word) that people who were so excited
>that TNT gave B5 another chance are suddenly so upset at them that they blame
>them for EVERYTHING that goes wrong.

Actually...it is.

We've heard from licensors and publishers, including Titan and Del Rey, and the
#1 reason they cite the problems they're having is that TNT is airing the show
at 7 a.m. Saturday mornings here in the US, which is the biggest market, and
where it *cannot* add new viewers.  (Kung Fu is aired middle afternoon
weekdays.)  Putting it at 7 a.m. Saturdays was a testosterone decision by some
folks at TNT.

So without question or hesitation, from the source: the continued placement of
B5 where it is is hurting the publishing licensees.  This is but the most
current and visible example.

(all message content (c) 2000 by
synthetic worlds, ltd., permission
to reprint specifically denied to