Martian telepaths

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Wed Mar 22 04:40:08 EST 2000

From: "Iain Reid" <thevampire at callnet0800.com>
Date: 21 Mar 2000 21:08:42 -0700

"Jms at B5" <jmsatb5 at aol.com> wrote in message
news:20000320182140.28352.00001136 at ng-bk1.aol.com...
> >How come Bester and company had jurisdiction over *all* the
> >telepaths holed up on B5?  Weren't any of them born on Mars?
> >For sure some of them had resided on Mars for a while.  That's
> >where PsiCorps had a concentration camp.
>
> There seems to be some confusion over what independence means in this
thread.

> Mars won independence in that it was no longer an Earth COLONY, unable to
set
> up its own goverment and such.  But it is still part of the Earth
ALLIANCE,
> consisting of various worlds, and the Psi Corps works for the Alliance.
>
>  jms

So it is sort of analagous to what would happen if my own country of
Scotland when ( not if ;o) ) it becomes independant from the UK.  It is
likely that when this happens, Scotland would become a sovreign state but it
would choose to remain in the European Union (thus the Scottish National
Party's slogan of "An Independant Scotland in Europe").

If  this is the case Earth would be England, Mars would be Scotland and the
Earth Alliance would be the European Union (with the Moon possibly
representing Wales ;)).

Does this mean that Mars will still be protected by Earth Force (and if so,
will they have to contribute troops as member nations have to when Europe
goes to war)?  Also, if Mars chooses to, could it opt out of the Earth
Alliance at some time in the future?

Iain Reid

>If  this is the case Earth would be England, Mars would be Scotland and the
>Earth Alliance would be the European Union (with the Moon possibly
>representing Wales ;)).

You even try to drag bagpipes into this and I'm coming over there with a stick.

>Does this mean that Mars will still be protected by Earth Force (and if so,
>will they have to contribute troops as member nations have to when Europe
>goes to war)?  Also, if Mars chooses to, could it opt out of the Earth
>Alliance at some time in the future?

Yes and yes, though the latter only with great difficulty and risk.

(all message content (c) 2000 by
synthetic worlds, ltd., permission
to reprint specifically denied to
SFX Magazine)