Attn JMS: ANFAW Pan and Scan a simple error?

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Fri Nov 24 04:49:06 EST 2000

From: jpfrain at att.net
Date: 23 Nov 2000 18:58:09 -0700

Hi Joe,

I didn't watch or tape this episode, but apparently it was panned and
scanned so that the text was always shown but then moved into a better
position when there was no text.  This would have to be deliberately
done, and whomever is responsible chose to keep their mouth(s) shut
regarding this.

It may not be the sci-fi channels fault, but not checking the remaing
seasons because season 1 was OK wasn't very smart.  It's called taking
shortcuts and not being thorough in ensuring that what gets shown to the
audience is what you expected.  This includes video and sound. Yeah it
might be time consuming, but in most industries it's a necessity to be
thorough.  Otherwise you end up having to recall your tires or your
swearing barney doll or forever be known as the network that interrupted
the end of a great football game to show "Heidi" at it's regularly
scheduled time.

My criticisms have not been aired to the sci-fi channel because I'm glad
they've picked up the show and given it a good time slot..  I also think
it's morally wrong for them to continue to air the show as a "widescreen
exclusive" until this is fixed.

I think that everyone is a little too quick to pass the blame, when a
thorough check by the seller(WB) or the (sellee) or by having someone
that knows the show (fiona?) oversee the transfer.  I think those three
parties as well as the subcontractor need to take some responsibility
here.

Sincerely,
              Jon Frain

>I didn't watch or tape this episode, but apparently it was panned and
>scanned so that the text was always shown but then moved into a better
>position when there was no text.  This would have to be deliberately
>done, and whomever is responsible chose to keep their mouth(s) shut
>regarding this.

First, understand that you're dealing with different arms of the same octopus.
One arm selects which versions go into the machine.  Down the road, a week or a
month later, somebody else loads those transfers and is told to make sure the
things are letterboxed.  As it goes through that process, that person notes
that some elements are below frame...so they pan and scan.  They do what
they're told with what they have.

>It may not be the sci-fi channels fault, but not checking the remaing
>seasons because season 1 was OK wasn't very smart.

It is, however, pretty standard.

>I think that everyone is a little too quick to pass the blame, when a
>thorough check by the seller(WB) or the (sellee) or by having someone
>that knows the show (fiona?) oversee the transfer.  I think those three
>parties as well as the subcontractor need to take some responsibility
>here.

Fiona has nothing to do with video transfers. Has never HAD anything to do with
video transfers.  So knock that one out of your list right off the bat.

Should WB have checked?  Yes.  I imagine SFC did check, and found them correct
initially.  They had no more reason to check the rest than I would've had.

And WB is currently fixing the situation.  They say that (barring unforeseen
events) they should have the transfers in place in time for S4 airings, and
right thereafter in subsequent runs, and at my request they are going to pay
particular attention to the audio elements.

>I think that everyone is a little too quick to pass the blame

And there are always those a little too quick to *assign* blame to those who
have nothing to do with the problem.  See above.

(all message content (c) 2000 by
synthetic worlds, ltd., permission
to reprint specifically denied to
SFX Magazine)