JMS- the "comics that don't suck" description is back!

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Mon Oct 23 04:38:58 EDT 2000

From: mrbvenom at aol.com (Sean J. McLaughlin)
Date: 22 Oct 2000 11:45:35 -0700

This term keeps popping up...Last month, I stopped into a comic shop to pick up
the newest Rising Stars, the First Midnight Nation, and Avengers, (the only
three I still collect).  While there, I asked the owner if Spider Man still
"sucked".  Now mind you, I had stuck with Spider-Man since issue 200 of
Amazing.  I'd stuck through all the extra titles they added, through the
McFarlane stuff, through the Venom Saga, through the clone crap, on through the
(ugh) relaunch at issue #1...but the final straw came for me when I picked up
an issue to find Spidey Homeless in an alley, waking up to find his clothes and
costume stolen.

The owner very graciously answered my question with the truth that it still
"sucked"...he then mentioned that Joe Quesada had been promoted and his primary
goal was to make sure that Spidey didn't "suck" anymore.  A few weeks later, lo
and behold, I read about the rumors of JMS coming aboard.  I was floored...this
is probably one of the only things that could havef brought me back to the book
and it actually happened.

Now, after reading the mission statement you copied on Psycomic for us, I'm
eagerly anticipating your first issue.  I can't believe after all these years,
I'm actually going to start getting overly anxious again on my way home from
the shop waiting to read my newest issue of Spidey.

P.S.-you seem kind of soured on the Venom character...I take it this isn't
going to be one of the "old" villians you decide to still include along with
the newer ones you mentioned?

Thanks again

Sean