OT - Not voting...

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Sun Sep 17 04:50:44 EDT 2000

From: Rick <rick at redx.demon.co.uk>
Date: 16 Sep 2000 09:23:50 -0700

Jms at B5 <jmsatb5 at aol.com> writes

>Every year, fewer and fewer people vote, meaning that our futures and our
>fortunes are being dictated by an increasingly smaller portion of the
>population because the rest just don't want to be bothered.
>
>And I'm sorry, but to me, that ain't the proper perspective of a citizen.  It's
>not just a one-way "gimme" street.

I wonder if part of the continuing decline in electoral turn-outs is
related to the whole cult of individuality that I'm afraid me and my
fellow baby-boomers bought into. It seems we want to stay adolescent for
our whole lives (don't get me wrong - not an entirely bad goal!) and
treat every issue with the same hormonal imperative as The Beatles vs
The Stones.

It's as though a vote for a politician - who may be better than his/her
opponent but still not perfect - is seen as some kind of betrayal of the
voter's self-image. How could a man possibly live with himself if he
placed a cross next to (for example) the name of a candidate who
received donations from Microsoft? Or maybe it's more to do with peer
pressure - what would your friends say if they knew you cast a vote for
Gore after seeing him in that sports-coat...?

So the easiest, safest thing to do is not risk your carefully cultivated
individual image. Don't vote at all. Who can criticise you then?

Pathetic, I know. But in an age where *everything* is treated like a
lifestyle choice - where you eat, what you drive, what you read, what
you *think* - maybe politics is too complicated for people who can make
a big issue out of the relative merits of Kurt Cobain or ST:Voyager.

>To vote is not the *legal* requirement of a citizen -- and by the way, the
>freedom you cite is first and foremost the freedom to choose the form of your
>elected government -- but it *is* a moral and ethical requirement.
>
>Because if you don't exercise it, sooner or later you will lose that freedom
>and all the others you cherish, because those with a vested interest in making
>those freedoms go away will be the ones to pass the final laws, unopposed by
>dissenting voices at the ballot box.
>
>Freedom does not equate laziness.
>
>I said it in the show: you must choose the future you want, or others will
>choose it for you.

This raises an interesting (to me, at least) question:

In B5, you clearly took the opportunity to deal with this and similar
issues. You had the whole 5-year story - the whole universe, in fact -
at your disposal to allow you to do this. But what about before, when
you had less control - and what other about jobbing freelance writers?
Does a writer's political outlook equally inform his work when he/she's
contributing a single episode to a show, say? Do you think it should?
Are there stories a writer simply *shouldn't* tell when they conflict
with his/her beliefs?

For example, imagine at some point in the past you'd been working on
some show and been presented with an outline for an episode much like
"By Any Means Necessary", but in which the protagonist came down firmly
*against* the docking unions. Would you do it and try to sneak in a plot
thread or two to try and make it a little more acceptable? Or would you
walk?

--
Regards,
Rick