[B5JMS] B5 Bootleg Ethics...

b5jms-admin at cs.columbia.edu b5jms-admin at cs.columbia.edu
Sun Apr 22 04:23:04 EDT 2001

From: Rob Hayward <rob at battle-axe.org>
Date: 21 Apr 2001 20:23:17 -0700

In article <LEjE6.8010$FG3.586771 at news1.crdva1.bc.home.com>, Jeff
Vavasour <jeffv at physics.ubc.ca> writes

>For some reason, some people seem to disregard the rights of artists
>completely.  It's reminiscent of the debate that erupted in response to Harlan
>Ellison's wish to have his works-in-progress destroyed upon his death.  I
>don't know why it is difficult for some people to grasp that there was effort
>and intent behind a creative work and the rightful owner of that work has the
>right to determine where and if it is distributed.
>
>I mean, if, for example, a person wrote a deeply personal letter to a lover or
>a friend, no matter how beautiful it might be, do people really believe that
>the author has no right to demand that it *not* be available to others?  Or
>maybe people don't mind having a really embarrassing personal photo of
>themselves posted on the Internet without their consent?  (Bloopers are sort
>of like embarrassing personal photos, you see.  You might let close friends
>see them, but does that give everyone the right?)

But showing them to tens of thousands of fans at conventions can hardly
be called close friends.  They have effectively showed them to the
public as anybody could buy a ticket to see the gag reels, do the actors
cannot have any reserve about the public seeing them.  After all it will
only be the same fans who went to the conventions and those fans who
couldn't afford to.

If they are ever sold then please make them funnier, they may work as a
cast in-joke but personally I found them tedious, even Jeremy Beadle's
shows were funnier and that takes some doing.

If they will never be sold legally then no profit has been lost by
anyone. If they are shown to the public then they are not for close
friends only.  Put both together and nobody has been harmed in any way
by their sale.

--
Rob
We ate for the one, we drank for the one.