[B5JMS] Rising Stars 13: Stalingrad

b5jms-admin at cs.columbia.edu b5jms-admin at cs.columbia.edu
Sat Feb 10 04:22:36 EST 2001

From: in_valens_name at hotmail.com
Date: 9 Feb 2001 16:30:41 -0700

In article <961ld90sd3 at drn.newsguy.com>,
  Rich Johnston <twisting at hotmail.com> wrote:
> In article <20010208183220.15517.00000094 at ng-fo1.aol.com>,
jmsatb5 at aol.com says...

> >>When do you start on ASM? Looking forwards to seeing what you can do
> >>with him now!!!!
> >
> >My first issue of The Amazing Spider-Man comes out in April, I
> >believe.

More info for one and all:  it's listed as #30 at
http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/0104_apr/list_apr.html  with a shot
of the cover and some decription.

Also, at http://www.marvel.com/comics/sneakpeek/sneakpeek.html  there's
a bit of art from JMS' first issue, by series regular John Romita jr.
Wow!  Was that coloured just for this web preview?  Or is that the kind
of colouring the series will have starting with #30?  Slick & rich, it
reminds me of the painted work of sometimes Harlan Ellison collaborator
Canadian artist Ken Steacy.

> >FYI, on the issue of comics (kind of an unintended pun there)...the
> >next issue of Midnight Nation comes out next week.

Yay!  Best JMS comic series...  so far.  :)

> >This is the one that sets the tone for what's to follow, it gives
> >you a look down the road to what's going to happen to David through
> >the eyes of somebody else.  It's kind of like the B5 thing of
> >showing somebody the end while you're near the middle.  In my
> >opinion it's the strongest book of the bunch.

I'm a bit worried by this.  I loved "Deconstruction of Falling Stars",
but it kinda took some of the gas out of the 5th season for me.  But I
also think that may have had something to do with that season not being
green lighted when you wrote that ep, some of the hassles in production
of the 5th season, and possibly not going far enough with some of the
ideas/stories such as the telepath war because of the possibility of a
theatrical movie.

Or maybe it was just me.  :)

I hope the MN story works better, what with the greater creator control.

> If only Rising Stars had the same quality of artist...

An old and repeated lament.  And, sadly, still relevant.  It wasn't the
inker that needed changing.  But the departure from murky dark tones
and the discovery of variety, richness, and daylight brightness was an
improvement.  Cudos to the new colourist.

scott tilson.
--------------------
Recommended:  ARTESIA  by Mark Smylie.
http://www.angelfire.com/ar2/artesia
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1579890288/qid=979936341/sr=1-
1/ref=sc_b_1/105-8161541-9518317

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

>a bit of art from JMS' first issue, by series regular John Romita jr.
>Wow!  Was that coloured just for this web preview?  Or is that the kind
>of colouring the series will have starting with #30?  Slick & rich, it
>reminds me of the painted work of sometimes Harlan Ellison collaborator
>Canadian artist Ken Steacy.

That's the look we're going for, to match where the story is going.