[B5JMS] ATTN JMS: Pitching TV Series (B5, and in general)

b5jms-admin at cs.columbia.edu b5jms-admin at cs.columbia.edu
Tue Feb 20 04:27:40 EST 2001

From: "Douglas Nicol" <Douglasnicol at btinternet.com>
Date: 19 Feb 2001 11:18:58 -0700

Jms at B5 <jmsatb5 at aol.com> wrote in message
news:20010219012009.15885.00001719 at ng-fo1.aol.com...
> They were given the pilot screenplay for The Gathering, an extensive
series
> treatment with sample stories covering most of the first season, with
notes on
> where the series would go, and lots of sample artwork on the station and
the
> characters.
>
> With some exceptions, it was very close to what became the B5 writer's
bible,
> which was available for a while via thestation.com.
>

>  jms
>
> (jmsatb5 at aol.com)
> (all message content (c) 2001 by synthetic worlds, ltd.,
> permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine
> and don't send me story ideas)

Joe

This might sound a little bit naive, but what was to stop any network
ripping off your hard thought-up work, and altering a few minor details,
then touting it as their own show.
I've heard some rumours that this is what happened with DS9, but I'm not
sure whether to believe them.
Obviously if another network uses your plots, characters etc it can be a
blatant copy, but sometimes things can be more subtle.

Douglas Nicol