[B5JMS] Pending DVD release

b5jms-admin at cs.columbia.edu b5jms-admin at cs.columbia.edu
Sun Mar 11 04:23:42 EST 2001

From: "Mac Breck" <macbreck at access995.com>
Date: 10 Mar 2001 17:09:58 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jms at B5" <jmsatb5 at aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated
Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2001 6:30 PM
Subject: Re: Pending DVD release

> One aside...the release of the first DVD of "The Gathering" and "In the
> Beginning" has been put back a month, at my request.  There was apparently
some
> misunderstanding about which version of The Gathering to put out, and they
were
> going to do the original version rather than the re-edit (which would go
for
> the European market).  They had already invested about $100,000 in copying
> costs when I found out about this, and I asked if they could please
reconsider
> and do the re-edit instead.  They finally agreed, which is commendable in
the
> extreme.  It'll add one month to the release schedule, but I'd rather have
the
> best version out there and wait the addtional 30 days.
>
> I have to really thank WB for taking the time and spending the money to
put out
> the right version.
>
>  jms
>
> (jmsatb5 at aol.com)
> (all message content (c) 2001 by synthetic worlds, ltd.,
> permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine
> and don't send me story ideas)

Whew!  Why they'd even consider the original version over the re-edited
version, I don't know.

Now the only questions are:

1. Will "The Gathering" be on the DVD in pseudo-widescreen from Sci-Fi (i.e.
4:3 with picture info hidden by black bars at the top & bottom), or will it
have the 4:3 as-shot version like the Laserdisc?

and

2. Will "In the Beginning" show the Centauri Vorchan Cruiser blowing away
the Narn ship at the ice planet/abandoned outpost and then bombarding the
outpost (with missiles, IIRC), or just jump straight from the Vorchan
exiting the jump point to flames on the ceiling of the bunker.  In other
words, will the DVD have the Sci-Fi cuts or will it have the whole thing
(like the Laserdisc)?

Mac

>1. Will "The Gathering" be on the DVD in pseudo-widescreen from Sci-Fi (i.e.
>4:3 with picture info hidden by black bars at the top & bottom), or will it
>have the 4:3 as-shot version like the Laserdisc?

Insofar as I know it'll be 4:3.

>2. Will "In the Beginning" show the Centauri Vorchan Cruiser blowing away
>the Narn ship at the ice planet/abandoned outpost and then bombarding the
>outpost (with missiles, IIRC), or just jump straight from the Vorchan
>exiting the jump point to flames on the ceiling of the bunker.  In other
>words, will the DVD have the Sci-Fi cuts or will it have the whole thing
>(like the Laserdisc)?

DId the snip during the SFC broadcast somehow rebound into the WB negatives
vault and transmorgify the cut residing there...?