[B5JMS] Fight scenes on B5

b5jms-admin at cs.columbia.edu b5jms-admin at cs.columbia.edu
Fri Mar 30 04:22:56 EST 2001

From: "Steve Palmer" <spalmer at mdanderson.org>
Date: 29 Mar 2001 21:30:40 -0700

I'm a huge B5 fan, and one of the aspects of the show I always liked was its
realism -- political, scientific, and psychological.  But the one area in
which B5 is consistently unrealistic is its fight scenes.  For example, the
jumping spinning reverse crescent kick seems to be a standard maneuver on B5
(I recall seeing it at least 3 times), even though, in real life, fighters
who try that sort of thing consistently get knocked on their butts.  And
then there is Sheridan's fight with Boggs in "Ceremonies of Light and Dark",
in which Boggs' deranged war buddy stands still and lets Sheridan pull his
fist back and punch him in the face repeatedly.

This observation is not intended as an indictment of any of B5's creators.
It just strikes me as odd that a show that is so believable in every other
sense is so off-target (as it were) in its fight choreography.

>I'm a huge B5 fan, and one of the aspects of the show I always liked was its
>realism -- political, scientific, and psychological.  But the one area in
>which B5 is consistently unrealistic is its fight scenes.  For example, the
>jumping spinning reverse crescent kick seems to be a standard maneuver on B5
>(I recall seeing it at least 3 times), even though, in real life, fighters
>who try that sort of thing consistently get knocked on their butts.  And
>then there is Sheridan's fight with Boggs in "Ceremonies of Light and Dark",
>in which Boggs' deranged war buddy stands still and lets Sheridan pull his
>fist back and punch him in the face repeatedly.
>
>This observation is not intended as an indictment of any of B5's creators.
>It just strikes me as odd that a show that is so believable in every other
>sense is so off-target (as it were) in its fight choreography.

I actually tend to agree with you, in that the fights tended after a while to
have a certain similarity in moves, something that I expressed during the
making of the series but in the hurry of production it never quite got
addressed as I would've liked.  So I agree with your criticism.