[B5JMS] Statement of Principals and Terrorism

b5jms-admin at cs.columbia.edu b5jms-admin at cs.columbia.edu
Fri Sep 21 18:40:28 EDT 2001

From: "Bryan H. Ackler" <backler at ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 19:54:59 -0700

The United States and the rest of the Civilized Nations of the world appear
ready to embark on a War Against Terrorism.

In addition to Teddy Roosevelt's "big stick" it should be appropriate that
the civilized world also offer the "big carrot."

In the B5 Universe, the founding of the Interstellar Alliance was based on
G'kar's Statement of Principals, and I for one believe that it is time for
another definitive document, that anybody could use to know where we,
as a civilization are going with regard to our treatment of each other.

The Founding Fathers of the United States produced the Declaration of
Independence, United States Constitution, and the Bill of Rights which have
served us for 225 years, used by numerous countries as models for their own
governments, and like the torch in the harbor, are a beacon of ideals,
sometimes not quite achieved, but available to all as a goal.

The Marshall Plan and the Truman Policy pumped billions of US dollars
into discouraged countries and this type of "carrot" should accompany the
"stick", join us and benefit, support terrorism, and pay the price.

The Civilized world needs to state what is acceptable, and what it will not
tolerate in behavior by its members, friends, neighbors, and enemies, on paper
for all to see and understand.

And like the Declaration of Independence, written not by committee,
but by basically one person with a vision.    Joe?

Bryan H. Ackler
Portland, Oregon

>And like the Declaration of Independence, written not by committee,
>but by basically one person with a vision.    Joe?

There are words that are fit for a television program, and words that are fit
for the current devastating situation.

I know where to find the former, I haven't a clue where to find the latter.