[B5JMS] Babylon 5: The Radio Serial

b5jms-admin at cs.columbia.edu b5jms-admin at cs.columbia.edu
Fri Dec 6 04:25:25 EST 2002

From: derubeis at sensor.neusc.bcm.tmc.edu (David DeRubeis)
Date: 2 Dec 2002 21:52:16 GMT

Actually, I think that would be great.  JMS has already done audiocasts for
SciFi.com, so this wouldn't be a stretch.  The wonderful Doctor Who audios by
Big Finish, as well as the series you mentioned, show just how effective the
audio medium can be.

In article <Xns92D366EFCA023qwerty at 206.66.12.209>, smcnair at gulftel.com says...

>Let me preface this by saying that I spend about 2-1/2 hours every day
>on the road, going to and from work.  I've got an mp3 player in my car,
>and I usually spend my commutes listening to audiobooks.
>
>Recently I picked up an audiobook called "All the Tea", which is
>narrated by Walter Koenig, and is one of the few audiobooks to have an
>ensemble cast.  Koenig does an outstanding job, btw.  Unfortunately the
>rest of the actors on the audiobook sorta stink.  I've heard better
>acting in high schools.
>
>Anyway, hearing Koenig doing the narration got me to thinking about how
>cool it would be to have the B5 series done in radio serial format.
>There have been several other successful sci-fi/fantasy translations to
>the serial format... Star Wars, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and
>Lord of the Rings come immediately to mind.
>
>Any ideas on if this is even remotely possible?  Who do I
>threaten/praise to get something like this thought about?

>Actually, I think that would be great.  JMS has already done audiocasts for
>SciFi.com, so this wouldn't be a stretch.  The wonderful Doctor Who audios by
>
>Big Finish, as well as the series you mentioned, show just how effective the
>audio medium can be.

Actually, about a year or so ago, Sci-Fi.com was in active discussions with me
to do just this, but when they pulled back on their audio drama content, that
went away.