[B5JMS] MY problem with 16:9 - Not CGI

b5jms-admin at cs.columbia.edu b5jms-admin at cs.columbia.edu
Wed Dec 11 04:34:36 EST 2002

From: "Ben Frazer" <bfrazer at jhu.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 16:13:58 -0500

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this, but:

Personally, the cropped CG does not bother me much. In fact, I prefer the
composition in many cases (such as in the link Mac Breck posted). What I do
NOT like is the composition of many live action shots!

Sure, we get more picture information on the sides, but all too often, it
seems like the characters are huddled together in the middle of the screen.
Now, this is not always the case, but at least several times in each
episode, I wonder why they are standing so damn close to one another!

Obviously, the reason for this is that the show's directors at the time
wanted to frame the image to look good in 4:3... but now that we have the
wider 16:9, these directorial choices stand out like sore thumbs. I don't
like it and would prefer 4:3 DVDs in the future.

Composite live/CGI does not fare too well either in widescreen.

That being said, its not bad enough to ruin my enjoyment of the show and I
am very glad to have it on DVD. I will buy future seasons regardless of
their aspect ratio and enjoy re-living the saga nearly as much as if they
were released in 4:3. *Nearly*