[B5JMS] Smith to pen AMS; JMS to launch new Spidey comic

b5jms-admin at cs.columbia.edu b5jms-admin at cs.columbia.edu
Tue May 21 04:29:20 EDT 2002

From: aaronmalchow at aol.com (Aaron Malchow)
Date: 20 May 2002 19:22:25 GMT

Ralf Haring wrote:
"Slight factual errors in the above.

#35 came out in October instead of September
#36 came out in November instead of October
#37 came out in January instead of November
#38 came out in February instead of December
#39 came out in March instead of January
#40 was solicited for February, orders were cancelled, it was
resolicited for April, then came out in May
#41 was solicited for March, orders were cancelled, it was resolicited
for May."

Good research there, Ralf.

The information is accurate as far as I can tell, but I'm not sure how
realistic it is to expect Amazing Spider-Man 36 to come out in October when
issue 35 was delayed until then. The same for issues 38 and 39, given the
lateness of issue 37.

However, it should be pointed out that JMS has maintained a monthly schedule
more often than not with his work on Amazing Spider-Man. Issues 30-34 came out
on a monthly basis. Issue 35 was late, and issue 36 came out the next month.
Issue 37 was late, but issues 38 and 39 were released in the following two
months. Issue 40 was late. I count 3 late issues, and 8 issues maintaining a
monthly schedule. I think this is an important distinction to make.

And Matthew Vincent wrote:
"It's unfortunate that the effort he's putting into this is being cheapened
by the unrealistic demands that some people are putting on him. Some
of his fans *do* appreciate his efforts, you know."

Nicely put. You said much better than I could have.

Take care,
Aaron Malchow

From: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)
Date: 21 May 2002 01:41:09 GMT

>However, it should be pointed out that JMS has maintained a monthly schedule
>more often than not with his work on Amazing Spider-Man. Issues 30-34 came
>out
>on a monthly basis. Issue 35 was late, and issue 36 came out the next month.
>Issue 37 was late, but issues 38 and 39 were released in the following two
>months. Issue 40 was late. I count 3 late issues, and 8 issues maintaining a
>monthly schedule. I think this is an important distinction to make.

One other thing, only because I keep forgetting to mention it...the publishing
schedule was also kicked slantwise by a) September 11, and b) the desire to
drop in the script for issue 36 as a memorial to same.  We kinda dropped
everything to make that work, and that also slowed things down on the
production side.