[B5JMS] EEP!

b5jms at cs.columbia.edu b5jms at cs.columbia.edu
Mon Dec 8 04:26:18 EST 2003

From: Hank Tiffany <davidt at cet.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 20:46:12 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Dirk A. Loedding wrote:

> In article <galley-5508EF.23275904122003 at newsr3.texas.rr.com>,
> "Gordon B. Alley" <galley at texas.net> wrote:
>
> >The company I worked for purchased a TI 960 minicomputer back in the
> >'70s, and it had a paper tape reader for loading software. But before it
> >would start reading the tape, I had to manually enter and execute a
> >series of instructions in RAM using a bunch of front-panel toggle
> >switches to set the address and instruction words in binary.
>
> And I think that takes home the "I've used the most antiquated computer
> system" award.  :)

Actually, that sounds a lot like the 1st computer I ever fooled
around with. Belonged to a ISU compsci student I used to know,
pieced together out of stuff the uni threw out, back in the
mid 70's. When I went to college a few years later I couldn't
believe all the wusses complaing about how hard it was to program
Basic on a pdp1170, I thought I was in heaven, not a toggle in
sight!

Hank, another compsci refugee

--
Hitler, he only had one ball/Goering, had two but they were small
Himmler, was very simmlar/But poor old Goebbels had no balls at all