[B5JMS] attn. JMS: A TV writing question...

b5jms at cs.columbia.edu b5jms at cs.columbia.edu
Tue Jul 1 04:24:25 EDT 2003

From: "Eliyahu Rooff" <lrooff at hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 18:29:21 +0000 (UTC)

"Jms at B5" <jmsatb5 at aol.com> wrote in message
news:20030630041031.17992.00001386 at mb-m12.aol.com...

> >Why should entertainment be a special case?
>
> It's plain you dont think it *should* be a special place.  But artists are
(or
> can be) special people...we have lots of very nice, good people who work
in
> assembly lines making widgets...but we've only had one Beethoven, one
Bach, one
> Spielberg, one Whedon.
>
> You may want everybody to be treated the same way, but society simply
doesn't
> do that.  Not with politicians, entertainers, priests, and a number of
other
> categories.

I know, and it is somewhat ironic that our "heroes" and many of the highest
paid members of society are not those whose contributions are the most vital
(teachers, firefighters, police officers, sanitation workers), but those who
amuse us the most, whether it be singers, actors or athletes. I don't
begrudge them a decent income, although I do question our tendency to
presume that being a celebrity makes one an expert in dealing with social,
political and military problems.

BTW, please don't try to infer that I'm unacquainted with the arts. I was
formerly a music major (bassoon performance with voice minor) before losing
a sizable portion of my hearing in the Army. While being processed for
discharge, I cross-trained as an illustrator, producing posters, cover art,
illustrations for training materials, and was part of the team which
designed the Army's Air Assault badge. I've written two novels, numerous
short stories and have had several essays published. Currently, with the
benefit of the newest hearing aids the VA has to offer, I'm able to perform
with a local choral society and lead the music at my synagogue, so I do have
an inkling of what creative work is about.

Eliyahu

From: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 04:53:42 +0000 (UTC)

>BTW, please don't try to infer that I'm unacquainted with the arts. I was
>formerly a music major (bassoon performance with voice minor)
>While being processed for
>discharge, I cross-trained as an illustrator, producing posters, cover art,
>illustrations for training materials
>I'm able to perform
>with a local choral society and lead the music at my synagogue, so I do have
>an inkling of what creative work is about.

That's as may be.  Nonetheless: you do not have to and are not in the process
of making your living as a writer (or singer or artist).

In other words...and don't take this the wrong way, but it's the fact...you've
been to the zoo, but you've never had to be the monkey in the cage.  Your
understanding and empathy for the situation is delineated by which side of the
cage you're standing on.