[B5JMS] attn. JMS: A TV writing question...

b5jms at cs.columbia.edu b5jms at cs.columbia.edu
Thu Jul 3 04:24:12 EDT 2003

From: The Nuclear Marine <Nuke-Marine at cox.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 21:58:06 +0000 (UTC)

[posted and mailed]

jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5) wrote in
news:20030701024229.09071.00001828 at mb-m21.aol.com:

>>But honestly, has a library ever had a negative effect on people
>>buying books?  I've read CS Lewis, Stephen King, Jean Auel and others
>>as a kid for free, yet I ended up buying the books later as an adult.
>
> Unless you had a very different library association than mine, all the
> books in the library were purchased by the library, and the writers
> received royalties.

Joe, I saw Babylon 5 for free, I have said series on tape yet I still
bought the DVDs.  That was the point that was made.  I saw quality for
free as a child re-imbursed only by watching the occasional commercial
and hyping the series.  Even then, as an adult I rewarded that passion by
getting the series in a quality medium I and my family could enjoy.

The library system offers little to artists in way of direct royalties
with exception of research books (I assume).  The price tag on
recognition libraries offer artists are incalculable.  Certainly you
appreciate that child hood passions can equate to adult purchasing later
in life.

Yet, it is that one book being passed into the hands of many people.
That means according to Corporate "logic" that they've losts millions per
book in the library.  This is the logic that somehow says piracy cost X-
billions in lost revenue presuming people who buy the product legitmently
if they had not gotten the pirated material for free.  Is there loss,
yes, but not in a quantifiable nature.

Look at some software "contracts".  Somehow, before ever opening the
label, I've agreed never to resell this program.  It is with these logic,
though legal to a point, that I disagree.  Ok, so it gets into corporate
reform but this can be tied to the copyright issue dealing with free
viewing or reselling intellectual property (such as books and old video
tapes at garage sales).

>>For music,
>>has radio had a negative or positive impact?  HBO for movies?
>
> HBO pays residuals; radio also pays for the rights to broadcast music.
>
> Apples and oranges.

I would disagree to a point.  HBO residuals are a pitance due to the late
70's negotiation but my point was that though we will see movies on HBO
for a mere $10/month, people still go to theatres, buy/rent videos, and
hopefully (and do) buy movies they have seen on HBO and found out they
liked.

I am not saying this justifies the pirating of material.  None of my
posts say this.  I am saying that individual artists and corporations for
that matter look upon such venues as a means to recognition out there.

Summarize, my post was about the value of supposed free or cheap venues
outside of direct compensation.  An intellectual investment if you will.

Nuke

--
Listen to the Black Atheist Avenger: www.InfidelGuy.com

Atheist Radio on the Internet: www.AtheistNetwork.com

She's dead Jim, but still warm, I'll flip you for her.