[B5JMS] attn. JMS: On Length of Copyright

b5jms at cs.columbia.edu b5jms at cs.columbia.edu
Sat Jul 5 04:24:16 EDT 2003

From: eaburns at annotations.com (Eric Alfred Burns)
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 17:43:01 +0000 (UTC)

>That's your inference, but that's not what it says.
>The provision is there because the Founding Fathers
>knew that allowing writers the exclusive rights to their
>works WAS what was needed to "promote the progress
>of Science and Useful Arts."  The whole idea of the
>provision as stated isn't to say "no, no, you're limited to
>this period," it was to CREATE THE IDEA that they were
>entitled to such rights in the first place.  It was the
>ability to earn a living from one's writings that would
>create and encourage these useful arts.

First off, I completely agree. My feeling is that copyright protection
should extend for the lifetime of the author. (And if I had my
druthers -- which I do not, last time I checked -- that 'company-owned
copyright' would still extend to the lifetime of the principal author
or to the lifetimes of co-authors as appropriate, instead of a
nonperson like "ConHugeCo."  But that's not really germane to my
question.)

My question is, should copyright extend past the death of the author,
and if so for how long? If it were up to you? While I agree that the
author should receive compensation for his works through his old age,
is it part of society's obligation to provide for the author's heirs?
If so, for how long? I wouldn't want an aged author's aged spouse to
be thrown out of the family house and rendered penniless at a time of
grief, but I also don't want to see society's interest in works of art
and derivatives of said works of art be abrogated so that the great
grandchildren of the Steinbeck estate can continue to make exclusive
money off _The Grapes of Wrath_, or withdraw it from circulation if
they wish. (An example picked at random, I should mention.)

What is fair? And when does society's interest, and the further
evolution of art (through derivative works, for example) become
salient?

--
Eric A. Burns
Freelance Writer and Textual Whore