[B5JMS] jms at san diego comic con

b5jms at cs.columbia.edu b5jms at cs.columbia.edu
Sat Jul 26 04:25:35 EDT 2003

From: Wendy of NJ <voxwoman at hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:37:22 +0000 (UTC)

Jan wrote:
> Dan Dassow minorly ranted:
>

>>I fail to understand why anyone would want more than one
>>autograph from anyone or an autograph from someone they
>>have never met. For me, an autograph is a remembrance of
>>meeting someone you hold in high esteem. I cannot ever
>>conceive of buying an autographed item.
>

> Well, it depends.  In the case of the actors from B5, I want a memento of
> having seen/met them in person and I'll pay for an autograph or buy an item as
> a way of thanking them for the hours of entertainment they've brought me.  In
> my case, I have a collection of SiL CDs that I'm using as an 'autograph book'
> and I'll have them sign scripts that they were particularly good in.
>
> In the case of JMS, I've asked him to sign things that have meaning to me.  The
> card showing him turning out the lights of B5.  A caricature of him juggling
> shadows, computers, Kosh (and several other things) because that's what he was
> doing right then and it really was quite a trick.  And a few scripts (or I
> bought what he brought).  And while he signed, I'd have a little window to let
> him know that what he did was meaningful to this fan.
>
> I don't get autographs for the sake of reselling them or in hopes of them
> increasing in value.  Some people do and I imagine that the actors/writers are
> aware of that.

The value increases after the person is deceased. That's what a couple
of booksellers told me at the last 'con I attended. When I do get
autographs, I ask for them to be signed to me, so I suppose I'm reducing
the value in some way (But to have a Jim Fitzpatrick print that says
"Wendy, Best wishes, Jim" was priceless to me). For me, the sig reminds
me of when I met them, which is the important thing. (another prized
autograph was from astronaut Alan Bean - and it was wonderful to meet
him and see the slide show of his paintings)

> Jan
> Check out my auctions of rare Dark Shadows and Babylon 5 scripts and
> memorabilia at  http://tinyurl.com/bhkk

>> I don't get autographs for the sake of reselling them or in hopes of them
>> increasing in value.  Some people do and I imagine that the actors/writers
>are
>> aware of that.
>
>The value increases after the person is deceased.

........I'm feeling much better now....