[B5JMS] ATTN JMS - Crusade dead for good?

b5jms at cs.columbia.edu b5jms at cs.columbia.edu
Thu Jul 31 04:26:33 EDT 2003

From: nat_forst at hotmail.com (Nathanael Forstved)
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 13:53:38 +0000 (UTC)

Hello

I just recently watched Crusade and from what I saw I liked...a lot.
>From my understanding Crusade was cancelled even before a single
episode aired? I read that there were production differences between
you and TNT. Correct me if I am wrong, but did TNT want more sex and
violence in Crusade? I read this from every news source out there so
it must be true.

How is it that a studio after seeing your work on Babylon 5 could have
so little faith in your work? Couldn't they see where the story was
going? Are they totally out of creative mindset? Couldn't they see
future profit in the series?

I have a question for you. After all of the series box sets for
Babylon 5 are all out will Crusade be released on DVD? And, if the
sales go exceptionally well is there hope of reviving Crusade? I know
that WB owns B5 but is there a chance?

LOL! Sorry one more question. If Crusade will never be revived will
there be any future B5 projects? Again, I know that WB owns Babylon 5
and anything you write about the B5 universe is an infringment on
their ownership. But, do you have any ideas for future projects?

Thank you for reading.

PS: I am a big fan of Babylon 5 and your writing. Keep it up and
goodluck!

From: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 04:04:56 +0000 (UTC)

> Correct me if I am wrong, but did TNT want more sex and
>violence in Crusade?

Yes.

>I read this from every news source out there so
>it must be true.

Well, the one does not necessarily follow from the other....

>How is it that a studio after seeing your work on Babylon 5 could have
>so little faith in your work?

It wasn't a matter of faith in my abilities, it was that they wanted one kind
of show, I wanted to do another, and there was no common ground we could stand
on.

>Couldn't they see where the story was
>going?

Yes, but it wasn't where they wanted to go.

>Are they totally out of creative mindset?

One assumes.

>Couldn't they see
>future profit in the series?

Networks don't get future long-term profit, they only get what the ads bring in
first run (and reruns on their network).  Only the studio reaps long-term
profits.

>After all of the series box sets for
>Babylon 5 are all out will Crusade be released on DVD?

My unofficial understanding is that this will be the case, yes.

>And, if the
>sales go exceptionally well is there hope of reviving Crusade? I know
>that WB owns B5 but is there a chance?

Thing is, Crusade wasn't a show that went many seasons and then disappeared
with a strong fan base and a recognizeable name, both elements necessary to a
revival.  It was shot through the head while still in its metaphorical cradle,
and didn't have the time to acquire either of those.

So, bottom line, I really don't think it's ever going to happen.  And the more
time passes the less likely it continues to become.

>If Crusade will never be revived will
>there be any future B5 projects?

That's a whole different subject, and there may be a few things in the offing
there, but I'm keeping a low profile on this in case it doesn't go anywhere,
which is so often the case with TV and such.